FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For Formula One and Motorsport related videos and images.
By Amanda
Ouch! They mentioned it during the race but that's the first time I've seen it. Why was the mechanic still stood there?
Ouch! They mentioned it during the race but that's the first time I've seen it. Why was the mechanic still stood there?

Ted said it was Yamamotos radio guy doing something behind his head. The team have been fined $20,000 for unsafe pit release.
The team have been fined $20,000 for unsafe pit release.

...And now the team don't have enough money to complete the rest of the season, they'll just have to sell Bruno Senna for parts! :twisted:
By Amanda
If he's going to incur fines and wreck the car (slight exaggeration perhaps :whistling: ) then can't they just give Chandhok the seat back? Pretty please? It might be cheaper in the long run :pray:
It'd be safer putting Taki Inoue in the Hispania.
By scotty
It'd be safer putting Taki Inoue in the Hispania.

And quicker to put Ricardo Rosset in there!
I don't know if anyone has seen the video on YouTube which I will not post in this thread, but there was good reason it wasn't televised.

Apparently the engineer is out of danger and will be able to leave the hospital soon, great to hear.
By nish2280
It was removed from Youtube last time i checked, pretty horrifying. I hope Yamamoto pays for the bills because it was quite a serious injury.
The team have been fined $20,000 for unsafe pit release.

...And now the team don't have enough money to complete the rest of the season, they'll just have to sell Bruno Senna for parts! :twisted:

I would of thought a kidney is worth 20k... so maybe they should have the guy who released Yammy's kidney
He was a radio engineer, who HRT say was trained in how to behave if attending the car during a pit stop. But he lost his head (figuratively) in the heat of battle and was standing in the path of the right rear wheel as Sakon made off. He was not thought badly hut but as of yesterday remained in hospital and "under observation." HRT have been fined $20,000 USD for an unsafe release.

Video here
By vaptin
Ted, has news, Ted what can you tell us?

The issue of mechanics' safety in the pit lane will be re-examined by F1 team managers after the very nasty incident at Sakon Yamamoto's pit stop.

Yamamoto was having problems with his radio during the race, so when he came in for his stop, the team's radio technician approached the car to check the wire between helmet and car.

When the pit stop was complete, the chief mechanic lifted the lollipop and the technician was hit by the car's rear wing as Yamamoto drove away.

The primary cause of the incident was that the lollipop man either did not see the technician or had not been told he would be in the car inspecting the wire, while a secondary issue was that the technician was wearing a black shirt so was difficult to see and was not wearing a crash helmet.

He was lucky to escape without serious injury - reports say he has concussion and a damaged rib, although the team were unavailable for comment on Wednesday to confirm that.

That is two mechanics who have been injured in pit stops this year following Nico Rosberg's loose tyre hitting a Williams mechanic in Hungary.

Body armour and compulsory full-face helmets are being introduced by teams and race wear suppliers. For those that work on cars in the pit lane, they can't come soon enough.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 999104.stm

See our F1 related articles too!