FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For Formula One and Motorsport related videos and images.
At the beginning of the ESPN broadcast of the USGP in Phoenix in 1989 there was a 'tease' that featured a cowboy-ish looking fellow driving through the desert in a '57 Chevy convertible, listening to the radio and only getting music about the heat, with a David Hobbs voice-over promo the Grand Prix.

The cowboy-ish looking fellow does a double-take when Harley Cluxton passes him in a Williams F1 car.

That race was ESPN's first world feed as the host broadcaster, providing the pictures for the entire world.

I'd like the tease on tape or DVD because, well, I was the cowboy-ish looking fellow . . .
:eek: A bit of F1 stardom here!

I'm afraid I don't, a bit before my time, I'll see if I can dig anything up in the BetaMax in our loft.
Can't read the post sorry, my screen is black and the purple doesn't show up. Nice colour though :thumbup:
Can't read the post sorry, my screen is black and the purple doesn't show up. Nice colour though :thumbup:

High light it with your mouse RC, and you'll be able to read it. But for your info:

At the beginning of the ESPN broadcast of the USGP in Phoenix in 1989 there was a 'tease' that featured a cowboy-ish looking fellow driving through the desert in a '57 Chevy convertible, listening to the radio and only getting music about the heat, with a David Hobbs voice-over promo the Grand Prix.

The cowboy-ish looking fellow does a double-take when Harley Cluxton passes him in a Williams F1 car.

That race was ESPN's first world feed as the host broadcaster, providing the pictures for the entire world.

I'd like the tease on tape or DVD because, well, I was the cowboy-ish looking fellow
Thanks LRW. I'm on the IPad and that mouse thing doesn't work.

WOW Eelpie!! I hope you find that video. What a memory!
In 1986 I met the ESPN F1 people at Jerez, and I worked for them as a runner with a radio in the pits. That led to an invitation to join them in Imola if I could make it.

After working those two, I went to Monaco, where I worked for ABC television on the recommendation of Jackie Stewart, who was the color commentator for ESPN.

One thing led to another, and I ended up working on the broadcast as associate producer / pit producer through Mansell's championship in 1992.

The only time I was really on screen, though, was when I was the 'talent' in the '89 Phoenix tease . . .

PS: If you see the Senna film, I was the one asking all the questions in the ESPN interviews as our pit commentator didn't like doing interviews except when he was on-camera . . .
I certainly hope you stay on the forum, if you do or don't find the clip (I hope you do), I'm sure you've got some very good stories to tell, and could put most of us on the right track when talking about the early 90s championship, cos' we're probably wrong :hehe:
. . . but a lot involve private exchanges which should remain private.

If there's one thing I'd say about the people in F1 that the fans miss is that the F1 bods are just people, highly skilled though they may be. Granted, they're all characters, but everyone is a character in his or her own way.

For example, in 1987 I was working Jerez as stage manager in the TV booth. The line-up? Jackie Stewart, Frank Williams, yours truly, and Nigel Roebuck, the noted scribe, who was doing the lap chart.

A little while before the race I went up to the TV booth for the first time to check out my view and position. Just about then Sir Frank was lifted to the TV booth level, and seated in his place.

My problem was, all my reference materials, pads, pens and the like were still in the production truck. There were two doors to the TV booth, but only the only on the other side of Sir Frank was unlocked.

I was in a sweat, and Frank Williams saw it. Aware of my plight, he said, "If you need to get out, just crawl over me". Oh, yeah, sure, I'm going to crawl over Frank Williams to get my stuff from the truck!

Luckily for me, the nice young lady from the Spanish organizers came by to unlock the second door, and I was on my way, over-joyed at dodging the bullet of either doing the show completely cold, or having crawled over Frank Williams.

By the way, it turned out that I could have done the race without my references, because every time I'd jot something down as an observation for the commentators, Frank Williams came out with it first, from memory. I guess that’s why his name is on a lot of championship trophies.
. . . but a lot involve private exchanges which should remain private.

If there's one thing I'd say about the people in F1 that the fans miss is that the F1 bods are just people, highly skilled though they may be. Granted, they're all characters, but everyone is a character in his or her own way.

Oh by no means disclose anything private, I wouldn't expect anyone to do that anyway. And I know what you mean about F1 fans forgetting that people in F1 are just normal people, especially drivers, sure they may have skills but at the end of the day they are just chaps with failings like the rest of us, so personally I don't think it's right to always jump straight onto a driver the moment they say anything. Same goes with everyone else up and down the paddock I suppose.

Anyway mate, great to have you here, and good luck in your search (I wanna' watch it now, sounds like a good little intro, i've always been partial to big set pieces on F1 broadcasts.)

See our F1 related articles too!