FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For Formula One and Motorsport related videos and images.
http://www.f1revs.com/2012/11/bbc-sky-f ... -2012.html

I found this quite interesting. Maybe some of you will find this interesting too. It might also be interesting to hear some opinions.

When I was first reading about the Sky F1-BBC deal lots of people were complaining about how it was really expensive to view all the live races, and then others who had to pay to watch F1 anyway were having a go at at the complainers.

Surely though, it would be better if those people in other countries could get better coverage instead of the UK getting worse coverage [In terms of price]. Also it seems that the deal is only making things worse for F1 since the general viewership seems to be on the decline. [In the UK at least]

Its not just F1 that I would quite like on Free to Air TV though; I would also quite like WTCC, DTM, formula renault, formula 3 and a few more on FtA aswell. Then again, I'm quite sure I'm not the only one.
It's also quite surprising how hard it is to find motorsport on TV in general anyway, it would be nice to have some more coverage IMO.
If those stats are true then it's a pretty damning statement; only 12m viewers for Sky all year long; while the BBC still grabbed 62m, seems that Sky has underestimated then power of F1 to pull in new viewers. I watch Sky on Sky Go but that's only because my father subscribes to the full Sky package, I wouldn't pay for it, not that I can living in the United States!
There's very little wrong with the BBC coverage. The "highlights" only omit the odd lap here and there. It provides me with very little impulse to pay for Sky.

What concerns me is the overall drop in viewers. We had people signing up on here just to say they'd not be watching because of this TV deal. I was sceptical about such comments at the time, and I'm astonished that people seem to have been stupid enough to stick to their guns. :rolleyes:
People will come back; they may have stayed away last season as a protest but they will be back; if not then it's no loss to F1, they clearly weren't real fans to start with!
I imagine the people they're loosing are the ones that pop the race on tele I they happen to be around when its on, but aren't into it enough to get Sky or seek some other way of watching. But those people could become real fans and they're getting turned off, not having a chance to get into it because only ten races are shown. Less and less casual viewers will turn to real fans and I think F 1 will lose out.
Sky coverage is dull and costly, the bbc coverage is very very good. That explains the viewing figures.

Also I will never pay a single penny to Sky or the rest of the Murdoch Empire.
I pay virgin media to get the sky f1.. I normally record it and watch it later that night as I run a stall on the local sunday market. My normal viewing of it is... fast forward until I find an intresting looking link... or if some big story is going on until the person/team involved comes on. I then watch martins grid walk and then the race. Post race again I will ff until an interesting point is brought up... normally it is Ant Davidson and Georgie Thompson. I then ff to Teds Note Book.
I hardly ever watch the build up as most races start at 7am CT; I don't need to get up 90 minutes early to hear a load of inane chattering, the main reason I watch the Sky coverage (other than having every race live) is because I like Martin Brundle as a commentator; the rest of the Sky coverage I can take or leave to be honest, Ted Kravitz is cool, I like his notebook!
I hardly ever watch the build up as most races start at 7am CT; I don't need to get up 90 minutes early to hear a load of inane chattering, the main reason I watch the Sky coverage (other than having every race live) is because I like Martin Brundle as a commentator; the rest of the Sky coverage I can take or leave to be honest, Ted Kravitz is cool, I like his notebook!

I like bundle, ted, ant, Herbert, coultard, hill and jake but don't like any of the others
How do people see the future of F1 on British TV panning out? Is the future going to be Sky or BBC? Surely not both forever?

I'd say BBC will not re-bid when their contract runs out (end of this year?) Sky will be sole providers for a few years - they've invested a LOT in it, so won't give up just on it so quick. I'm sure they never expected to compete with the figures BBC (and even ITV) used to get anyway, as its a completely different business model I would of thought.

Maybe 5 or 6 years down the line they may call it quits if its not working, and Channel 4 will give it a go.
How do people see the future of F1 on British TV panning out? Is the future going to be Sky or BBC? Surely not both forever?

I'd say BBC will not re-bid when their contract runs out (end of this year?) Sky will be sole providers for a few years - they've invested a LOT in it, so won't give up just on it so quick. I'm sure they never expected to compete with the figures BBC (and even ITV) used to get anyway, as its a completely different business model I would of thought.

Maybe 5 or 6 years down the line they may call it quits if its not working, and Channel 4 will give it a go.

Bring on Channel 4! :thumbup:

See our F1 related articles too!