FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For Formula One and Motorsport related videos and images.
Behave you two! We don't want Zurich_Allan's more "adult" thread to decend into a total barney about the perceived arrogance of Americans or each others citizenship and end up being locked. We have an "adult" thread (as someone wanted) so let's play nice. :)

Indeed,wise words!

Media bias against Schumacher - discuss.

Everyone has a bit of bias whether they admit it or not... I'm no Schumacher fan and I don't like his tactics he has used in the past. I admit that I tend to jump to the conclusion without further investigation that Schumacher has caused the incident based on his past behaviour, but to be fair, this year so far he has been a good boy! I'm not going to condemn commentators for expressing an opinion about the on-track action, afterall that is what they are paid to do; I really wouldn't read too much into those comments!

Re: the bold / underlined section, I agree with the general idea that people might express an opinion, however things on track can be categorised relatively easily into things that different opinions can be formed on and things that are just facts, with no possibility of differing opinion.

An example of things people might rightly derive opinion - whether an on track movement is against the rules - such as the much debated (on here, not by the stewards of course) movements of Hamilton on the main straight before turn one. Or where fault should lie in the case of an incident - such as the SV / NK incident a couple of weeks ago. Opinion, differing or similar should be rightly encouraged in these types of situation as it means that all potential rights and wrongs might be investigated and helps to keep a balance.

The problem with 'opinion' being delivered in a situation specifically like this, is that there is no room for opinion, it's just a factual inaccuracy - hence my annoyance as it's not the first time the media have done this. Schumacher was categorically not holding anyone up, and was categorically not the lead car that was part of the hold up at that stage in the race. As said, there was a gap between him and Button that was never closed at any point, all it takes is a quick look at the footage to prove this beyond doubt.

In other words, it's just bias - plain and simple. There is a definite underlying agenda amongst some pundits that goes beyond acceptable 'opinion', and as I say, this has been noted and pointed out by dozens and dozens of people in the past, unfortunately the BBC have taken the right to pass fair comment on articles such as Benson's away. It's not just this incident, this is just one that I'm pointing out, it's happened many many times in the past.
What was the gap back to button? Was button staying out of the draft to protect his tires?

I'm not sure exactly what the gap was, I haven't seen the timings, but it was very much visible for the entire time up until Schumacher's ill fated pit stop. It is possible that Jenson was trying to stay out of the draft theoretically, but that would have been a very dangerous game to play as the rest of the snake was all over him from behind so if he was doing that, he was leaving the possibility of being overtaken or potentially crashed into. On balance I'd think it pretty much 99% that Button, at that stage, simply couldn't close the gap. Certainly it's either 'couldn't' or 'didn't'.
Did Schumacher pit 1st? If so what was buttons pace like afterwards?

That's too simplistic a way to look at it though. As you know, it's common for cars / drivers to be faster or slower during different stints of a race depending on tyres, how much the track has rubbered in, difference in stability / handling in high / low fuel situations, tyres they are on compared to others around them etc. Given that lap times come down throughout literally every grand prix now with lack of refuelling, it's very difficult to draw conclusions based purely on someone's pace later in a race than earlier for those reasons. The only area that you can reasonably draw conclusions is on is when cars are on similar tyres in relatively close proximity in a race so you can visibly see if a car is able to close, or indeed is falling away from a car ahead / behind it.

In this particular circumstance, whether by choice or inability, the small gap was there and remained relatively constant throughout for a number of laps.
I don't think button was trying to stay back at all. I am confident he was trying to get into the DRS zone so he could get up to schumi. I believe the gap was only about 2-3 seconds, nothing insurmountable.
o it was just another case of the typical British/English arrogant attitude.

Wtf an American calling the British arrogant :hehe:

Typical reply from you (no wonder I left as nothing ever changes around here :( ) and your not even British, now who's arrogant?? :wink:

I miss you also bud:wink: .

Not really :whip::D !!

FYI,
I personaly know Brits who cannot stand the "hollier than thou" attitude of their countrymen, I was not generalizing the group as a whole either.

Actually tex, I have a British citizenship and Passport. I am what they call a dual citizen. :wink:

And I'm sorry you were generalizing, but that's ok I do the same with Americans but at least when I do it I'm right :D

Nothing ever taken personaly from you mate, we enjoy the hoopla. :wink:
Ive seen loads of examples of media bias in F1. And i do think its important that commentators should present facts fairly. In some of the incidents (Narain, Lewis' supposed weaving etc) they may be factual but the commentators dont have all the facts so they shouldnt lay blame. Suggesting Lewis weaved was actually incorrect. The commentator got the facts wrong. It seems commentators have a down on certain drivers and cannot reamin unbiased. Not very professioinal. I also noticed the comments that Schumacher was holding up Button. No he wasnt.
Another example is the cold shoulder that force india got this past weekend on the practice and quali feeds. IMO all the denying that bernie and others did was total and complete :bs:
That was attrocious!!
Ive seen loads of examples of media bias in F1. And i do think its important that commentators should present facts fairly. In some of the incidents (Narain, Lewis' supposed weaving etc) they may be factual but the commentators dont have all the facts so they shouldnt lay blame. Suggesting Lewis weaved was actually incorrect. The commentator got the facts wrong. It seems commentators have a down on certain drivers and cannot reamin unbiased. Not very professioinal. I also noticed the comments that Schumacher was holding up Button. No he wasnt.

Commentators wouldn't be able to commentate then in your scenario :hehe:

It's the same in all sports but jeez do you have anything positive to say about F1? :hehe:
Another example is the cold shoulder that force india got this past weekend on the practice and quali feeds. IMO all the denying that bernie and others did was total and complete :bs:

Ooh more conspiracy. :rolleyes:

They have Whyte & Mackay on their cars side pods in a country where alocohol advertising is not allowed. If they were being ignored under the instruction of a higher power, then I would say that the said higher power is making a rod for their own back (which I can't see being the case).
I think its time to have a change as every week is the same please change it too the Running Down Schumacker Show , starting to get boring now every race Eddie and the others run him down in everyway possible and pump the others up , i think its time the presenters started being unbiased when they present the show , hes a good and has proven to be good race driver and so is Hamilton , Webber and all the others , please guys show him some respect and if you cant say anything nice then dont say anything at all as for Eddie Jordan what i think is too impolite to post here

Wishing all the drivers a great and safe weekend regards

See our F1 related articles too!