FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For Formula One and Motorsport related videos and images.
By racechick
From what ive seen( trailers) and read about this film I think it's right up my street and I'd love it. But now we have two less glowing reports ( WB and the writer of article2) . Well I'll report back when I've seen it, hopefully next week!
By zurich_allan
I don't have time right now to write a long review, but just wanted to say that I saw the film last week with my wife, and we both really enjoyed it. I'm not interested in the film being 100% historically accurate, because I know the history, and can handle just a well made drama adaptation. My brother went with his wife during the week, they're not even F1 fans and they both really liked it too.
By Zekenwolf
I saw the trailer a while ago but not the film as yet. Will probably have to wait for the Blu-ray disc to come out before actually seeing it.

One off-beat question out of curiosity. Did they show a lot of scenes with Chris Hemsworth smoking? Hunt was a chain-smoker but that is usually considered as politically incorrect these health conscious days, and so I just wondered.
I saw the trailer a while ago but not the film as yet. Will probably have to wait for the Blu-ray disc to come out before actually seeing it.

One off-beat question out of curiosity. Did they show a lot of scenes with Chris Hemsworth smoking? Hunt was a chain-smoker but that is usually considered as politically incorrect these health conscious days, and so I just wondered.

They showed him smoking a lot, having sex a lot and drinking a lot. They also mentioned through a Lauda voice over that he died of a heart attack in his 40's. If you want to look at that as tongue in cheek PC.
By sagi58
It's not released in Oz until 3rd of October. :(

It was one of the entries at the Toronto International Film Festival and here is the review it got:

staff  wrote:">
Ron Howard directs this pulse-pounding true story about hard-driving Formula One rivals James Hunt (Chris Hemsworth) and Niki Lauda (Daniel Brühl), whose clashes both on and off the racetrack made the 1976 season one of the most thrilling and memorable in the sport’s history.

Standing at the absolute pinnacle of auto racing, Formula One holds a unique position in the world of sport. Ruggedly glamorous and immensely popular, it is the place where the international jet set comes to be rapt and to be seen. A nail-biting thrill ride and a hi-octane drama, Rush, the latest from director Ron Howard, hurtles us into this world and the fascinating personalities that populate it.

Rush revisits one of the most thrilling seasons in Formula One history: that of 1976, when two young drivers contested fiercely on and off the track. Austria's Niki Lauda (Daniel Brühl, also appearing at the Festival in Gala Presentation The Fifth Estate), the reigning world champion, was cool, detached, methodical; a kind of Teutonic metronome, perceived as being ruthlessly efficient but colourless. Across the grid from him was Englishman James Hunt (Chris Hemsworth), the swashbuckling, hard-living, carousing blond playboy who looked every inch the part. What turned their duel into the stuff of legend was the ferocity with which they competed — literally to the edge of death.

Working from an aerodynamic script from star screenwriter Peter Morgan (The Queen, The Last King of Scotland), Howard captures all the ups and downs of this mesmerizing racing season, and gets behind the visors of both men to reveal their deepest fears and ambitions. Brühl is sensational as Lauda, while Hemsworth matches him gear for gear as the charismatic Hunt.

With Rush, Howard has once again used popular history as a vehicle for powerful drama. And — the recreations of the cars and races are astounding!

By racechick
I LOVED it. I knew I would . It had everything. Sexy gorgeous playboy. But ISNT that actor gorgeous!
The retro look at F1 before money spoilt it somewhat. Liked the portrayal of the Hesketh team, I've read about them recently.The action shots and engine sounds were amazing! The respect the two ended up affording each other at the end, loved it when James stuffed it to the press guy :hehe: I liked how Lauda and his wife were...it showed a different side of him through her.
It showed well the different talents of the drivers. The planner, the thinker, the engineering mind, and the guy who grabs the car by the seat of the pants. I was flirting with F1 around that time...but not fully following everything. No prizes for guessing which my favourite would have been :D .

I'd go back and watch it again toady, I didn't want it to finish. I loved Senna, but for me this has the edge.
I don't know why I felt a little disconnected with it. I'm glad you liked it. I think it's certainly worth seeing. Did you catch the Tim Burton Elizabeth Taylor references?
By racechick
I don't know why I felt a little disconnected with it. I'm glad you liked it. I think it's certainly worth seeing. Did you catch the Tim Burton Elizabeth Taylor

Hmmm, no. I already knew Suzie went off with Richard Burton, but didn't hear Taylor mentioned.
I don't know why I felt a little disconnected with it. I'm glad you liked it. I think it's certainly worth seeing. Did you catch the Tim Burton Elizabeth Taylor

Hmmm, no. I already knew Suzie went off with Richard Burton, but didn't hear Taylor mentioned.

It was text in the headline of one of the newspapers shown
By racechick

It was text in the headline of one of the newspapers shown

Oh Yes!! I did see that!
By geetface9
It was different than I expected. I liked it. I was fairly drunk by the end tho :rofl::rofl::rofl: I got a VIP room at a theater nearby with some food and unlimited premium alcohol :twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted: I had four long islands, two bushmills with coke, two grey goose screwdrivers, a gin and tonic, SoCo and dr. pepper, four blue moons and a fat tire. All in the course of two hours. Ah it was epic :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9: Needless to say, I need to watch it wholly sober to make a great evaluation of it.

Oh, I can say that parts felt a little forced, in the fact that I thought they tried a bit too hard to emphasize the characteristics of each driver, rather than just letting their demeanor/racecraft show it. But then, perhaps a non-F1 audience wouldn't have perceived it like an F1 fan would, so idk.
I count fifteen drinks in that time span, I'm surprised you stayed lucid enough to first, keep track of the drinks and second, to make the observation about the heavy handedness of the characterization. :clap:

See our F1 related articles too!