FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For Formula One and Motorsport related videos and images.
Well we now know what the BBC will be doing in 2012!

From BBC F1

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula ... 893254.stm

The BBC has revealed its coverage plans for all Formula 1 races in 2012.

Ten races will be shown live on BBC One, including the British, Monaco and season-ending Brazilian Grands Prix.

Of the other 10, there will be extended highlights programmes on BBC One, of either 90-minute or two-hour duration depending on race location.

Races in the Far Eastern time zone will have highlights broadcast on BBC One at 1400, with those in the European time zone getting 90 minutes at 1730.

The BBC's coverage of all the live races will be as extensive as ever, with all the action on and off the track across TV, radio, online, red button and mobile.

LIVE RACES ON THE BBC
Continue reading the main story
15 April: China
13 May: Spain
27 May: Monaco
24 June: Europe
8 July: Britain
2 September: Belgium
23 September: Singapore
14 October: Korea
4 November: Abu Dhabi
25 November: Brazil
There will be full live coverage of both qualifying and race on BBC One, BBC One HD and the BBC Sport website, plus a one-hour evening highlights programme on BBC Three and BBC HD.

For these races, all three practice sessions will be shown live on the red button and the website.

The F1 Forum will continue on the red button for about an hour of comment and analysis after the programme.

The presentation team will be at all the races, including those that are not being broadcast live on BBC television. Full details of the team will be revealed at a later date.

For those races in the Far East time zone which take place early in the morning in the UK, two hours of highlights will be shown at 1400.

For races which are run at a time that is early afternoon in the UK, 90 minutes of highlights will be shown at 1730. Schedules are subject to change.

The full narrative of the weekend, including live text and audio commentary, news, interviews, pictures and highlights of all sessions on track, will also be available on the BBC Sport website and there will be live coverage of both qualifying and the race on radio.

All 20 grands prix will be broadcast live on BBC Radio 5 Live or 5 Live Sports Extra.

The BBC Sport website and red button will broadcast live coverage of every second of on-track action for all the races that are live on BBC One and will have highlights of the others.

In detail, the coverage will be as follows:

Network television - Live grands prix
Qualifying sessions and races live on BBC One and BBC One HD

One-hour evening highlights programme on BBC Three and BBC HD

All races and qualifying sessions that start before 1000 to have full repeat on terrestrial TV later in the day

Network television - Other races
Extended highlights (90 mins) on BBC One and BBC One HD, 1700 for European time zone races and (120 mins) 1400 for early morning races

Qualifying: Extended highlights (75 mins) BBC One and BBC One HD, Saturdays at 1730 for European time zone races and 1300 for early morning races

(Hungarian Grand Prix qualifying and highlights will be on BBC Two and BBC HD)

Radio
Live commentary of every race plus coverage of practice and qualifying sessions

5 Live Formula 1 on 5 Live Sport every Friday night prior to a race, previewing all the action with expert analysis and the latest news from the track

Chequered Flag podcast available to download at BBC Radio 5 live website with expert analysis and reaction from the circuit

Online/Red Button
Live BBC races - all live on-track sessions streamed live on Red Button and on the BBC Sport website

Interactive forum on Red Button for an hour after each live race

All races - live text and audio commentary, highlights, interviews, news, reaction

Overall I think I can live with that, I like the fact that the team will be at every race, my only question is the split on the highlights between build up and actual race footage. I think I'll give it a go though, as paying Sky £40 for one race is way to much. And if we all do that then surely it won't make sense for sky to continue with there coverage.
So I have workeed out the season like this.....

01 2012 FORMULA 1 AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX (Melbourne) 16 - 18 Mar 2 hours of highlights
02 2012 FORMULA 1 PETRONAS MALAYSIA GRAND PRIX (Kuala Lumpur) 23 - 25 Mar 2 hours of highlights
03 2012 FORMULA 1 UBS CHINESE GRAND PRIX (Shanghai) 13 - 15 Apr live
04 2012 FORMULA 1 GULF AIR BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX (Sakhir) 20 - 22 Apr highlights, 2 hours?
05 FORMULA 1 GRAN PREMIO DE ESPAÑA SANTANDER 2012 (Catalunya) 11 - 13 May live
06 FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DE MONACO 2012 (Monte Carlo) 24 - 27 May live
07 FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DU CANADA 2012 (Montréal) 08 - 10 Jun highlights, 2 hours?
08 2012 FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX OF EUROPE (Valencia) 22 - 24 Jun live
09 2012 FORMULA 1 SANTANDER BRITISH GRAND PRIX (Silverstone) 06 - 08 Jul live
10 FORMULA 1 GROSSER PREIS SANTANDER VON DEUTSCHLAND 2012 (Hockenheim) 20 - 22 Jul 1.30 hours highlights
11 FORMULA 1 ENI MAGYAR NAGYDÍJ 2012 (Budapest) 27 - 29 Jul 1.30 hours highlights
12 2012 FORMULA 1 SHELL BELGIAN GRAND PRIX (Spa-Francorchamps) 31 Aug - 02 Sep live
13 FORMULA 1 GRAN PREMIO SANTANDER D'ITALIA 2012 (Monza) 07 - 09 Sep 1.30 hours highlights
14 2012 FORMULA 1 SINGTEL SINGAPORE GRAND PRIX (Singapore) 21 - 23 Sep live
15 2012 FORMULA 1 JAPANESE GRAND PRIX (Suzuka) 05 - 07 Oct 2 hours highlights
16 2012 FORMULA 1 KOREAN GRAND PRIX (Yeongam) 12 - 14 Oct live
17 2012 FORMULA 1 AIRTEL GRAND PRIX OF INDIA (New Delhi) 26 - 28 Oct 2 hours highlights
18 2012 FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX (Yas Marina Circuit) 02 - 04 Nov live
19 2012 FORMULA 1 UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX (Austin) 16 - 18 Nov 2 hours highlights?
20 FORMULA 1 GRANDE PRÊMIO DO BRASIL 2012 (São Paulo) live
I'll watch the live ones, probably wait for the complete reruns that come on later(that means no coming on the forum inbetween times :( ) and proably tune to a foreign channel on the computer and listen to five live for those other ones that we only get to see a bit of. No way Im paying Sky.

PS. Why did they give us Cataluya live??? They can keep that one.

PPS. Thanks for posting that Bulletproof :)
I'll watch the live ones, probably wait for the complete reruns that come on later(that means no coming on the forum inbetween times :( ) and proably tune to a foreign channel on the computer and listen to five live for those other ones that we only get to see a bit of. No way Im paying Sky.

PS. Why did they give us Cataluya live??? They can keep that one.

PPS. Thanks for posting that Bulletproof :)

Yea Valencia could have been left as well and swapped for Canada
Sky Sports will cover Formula One in the UK in 2012 by way of a new dedicated channel: Sky Sports F1 HD.
ESPNF1:
Sky agreed a deal to broadcast every race from next season back in July, with the move angering British fans used to Formula One being available on free-to-air television. While the BBC will show live coverage of only 10 races (see below) as it scales back its coverage, Sky Sports' managing director Barney Francis says that the new channel - to be launched in March - will allow it to cover the sport in its full depth.

"Formula 1 followers are hungry for more and we want to give them the ultimate experience. It's not just every minute of every race but a channel devoted to Formula 1," Francis said. "We can now tell the whole story of the season, from every Grand Prix, from start to finish. Formula 1 will get the full Sky Sports treatment.

"We have big plans for live shows and a rich line-up of Formula 1 programmes; getting to the drivers, exploring the technology and lapping up the drama. With a dedicated channel for Formula 1 we can also give all sports fans the depth and breadth of sports they demand every weekend, right through the year."

An entire HD channel for F1??? How are they going to fill the hours? Archived races and such? Maybe it's on only 8 hrs a day?
At any rate, I want that! :)
So the only decent races that us in the UK who can't afored or want Sky is Belgium and Brazil. :censored: pathetic! Makes me wonder why I waste £150, which mainly goes to the BBC, for the privilege of watching my own TV when I'll be watching anything the BBC shows even less now. Ah well, as long as they can afford to show unknown/forgotten "celebrities" making arses of themselves, ping-pong, pony jumping and bloody football, all with hundreds of presenters being sent to far flung places but at least the BBC is making savings on one sporting event despite it attracting a massive amount of viewers for every single event.. :rolleyes::thumbdown::irked:
A whole channel devoted to F1? Oh if only I were a richer man! :crying:

I'm sticking with the BBC. It's all I can afford to do. And I'm just thankful they didn't get rid of their coverage altogether.

I'm sticking with the BBC. It's all I can afford to do. And I'm just thankful they didn't get rid of their coverage altogether.

You could play a rich man :hehe:

I could yes, and I have done. But sadly, that won't solve my F1 coverage issues... unless I got paid very well....

I could yes, and I have done. But sadly, that won't solve my F1 coverage issues... unless I got paid very well....

Maybe add a belly dance to your repertoire and the dollar bills will rain on ya :bellydance-brunette:

Maybe add a belly dance to your repertoire and the dollar bills will rain on ya :bellydance-brunette:

You could be onto a winner there. If it works, I'll give you a mention in my autobiography. :P

You could be onto a winner there. If it works, I'll give you a mention in my autobiography. :P

I accept plastic, dark beer or Swiss chocolate as forms of payment for services rendered :thumbup:

I accept plastic, dark beer or Swiss chocolate as forms of payment for services rendered :thumbup:

:rofl: It's been noted down. :wink:
A whole channel dedicated to F1 :cloud9: Damn it now I'm tempted!!

(Lew, if you need any help with the belly dance I can give you some tips. For starters-work on isolation excercises :wink: )

See our F1 related articles too!