FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For Formula One and Motorsport related videos and images.
Whenever i saw US F1 coverage i never thought Varsha was that bad... what'd i miss? And does Peter Windsor still work for whoever does the coverage? That guy knows his stuff and is a good asset, imo.
Whenever i saw US F1 coverage i never thought Varsha was that bad... what'd i miss? And does Peter Windsor still work for whoever does the coverage? That guy knows his stuff and is a good asset, imo.

I was hoping they'd get Peter Windsor back. I'm not sure who will get, or if NBC will keep Will Buxton. The problem with Varsha is that he was never an F1 guy, and everything was compounded by the fact that his bread and butter comes from the car Barrett Jackson car auctions.

So although I appreciate the history and anecdotal information both Matchett and Hobbs bring, they're certainly not on the sharp end of the stick when it comes to today's F1.

I was hoping they'd get Peter Windsor back. I'm not sure who will get, or if NBC will keep Will Buxton. The problem with Varsha is that he was never an F1 guy, and everything was compounded by the fact that his bread and butter comes from the car Barrett Jackson car auctions.

So although I appreciate the history and anecdotal information both Matchett and Hobbs bring, they're certainly not on the sharp end of the stick when it comes to today's F1.

I thought NBC will have Leigh Diffey with Matchett and Hobbs...
Also, today after the race at some point it sounded like Will Buxton will be doing the grid walk again next year.

Also, today after the race at some point it sounded like Will Buxton will be doing the grid walk again next year.

You're correct on Leigh. It wasn't so clear on Will Buxton, or maybe I tuned out a bit. We'll have to wait and see I guess, it's clear that the more I hear these guys talk about Sky and the BBC that we're getting weak tea stateside.

You're correct on Leigh. It wasn't so clear on Will Buxton, or maybe I tuned out a bit. We'll have to wait and see I guess, it's clear that the more I hear these guys talk about Sky and the BBC that we're getting weak tea stateside.

Just watched that part of it again: Bob Varsha in his final words about Speed:
"[...] it also ends a long partnership with my fellow announcers David, Steve and Will who will follow Formula One to its new network while I continue my career here at Speed.[...]"

Unless he misspoke while choking a little, this to me means Will Buxton has the gig at NBC.
Speed is one of the worst channels for F1. most of the time they will air the race on a monday or a tuesday just so they can have nascar prerace or other garbage on that is completely irrelevant even when the race is at 6 in the morning here.
Speed is one of the worst channels for F1. most of the time they will air the race on a monday or a tuesday just so they can have nascar prerace or other garbage on that is completely irrelevant even when the race is at 6 in the morning here.

This is simply not true - they showed the races live whenever they were on.

Not all of them. i know the german grand prix was shown on the tuesday afterward. I know this because that sunday was my last full day at home and was hoping that my dvr recorded it so me and my friends could watch it but it was set to record on the tuesday after so i had to download the race
There's a little wrinkle, since FOX sports owns SPEEDtv, they show five or six of the mid summer GPs on Fox not on SPEED. Those are aired around noon eastern. Fox will replay it on SPEED the following day or two. However, this year when they were on FOX, speed did have a preshow and a post race wrap up which they've never done before. It's been the most coverage they've ever given F1.

I believe they were blindsided being outbid on the F1 rights stateside by NBC Sports. Totally didn't see it coming.

Not all of them. i know the german grand prix was shown on the tuesday afterward. I know this because that sunday was my last full day at home and was hoping that my dvr recorded it so me and my friends could watch it but it was set to record on the tuesday after so i had to download the race

Yes, they showed 4 races on Fox instead of Speed and those were time-delayed by a few hours - they did that on purpose and announced so to increase the viewership/exposure of F1 since not everybody has Speed, but most everybody has access to Fox (regrettably). However, your initial statement is still wrong: they never showed the races on a Monday instead of live on Sunday or time-delayed on Fox (for the 4 races) in preference of Nastycars or whatever.

See our F1 related articles too!