FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For Formula One and Motorsport related videos and images.
By darwin dali
Didn't Windsor used to be part of coverage over there? I have several old races (circa 2007) that are recordings from Speed and whatever, and i'm sure he's on them.

He used to be the pit lane guy, basically what Buxton is doing now for Speed.
By Neo
I appreciate the efforts made by the guys at speed and found Hobbs and Matchet worthy of listening to but saying that i don't think the overall coverage is that great to be honest and there's way too many adds while the race is on. BBC and Sky have rasied the bar for f1 coverage with the amount of extra depth they provide for the fans and insider access they have inside the paddock where Speed have simply fallen behind so its no surprise to me that they have been cut.
By Stealthgate007
I agree with you Neo, but SPEED was at least dedicated to showing every race. My fear is that NBC will be similar to Fox Broadcasting over the summer. They are at the formation lap when it airs and they cut away at the checked flag.. You get nothing in the way of pre-race, post-race... Not to mention, what are they going to do with practice and qualifying. It been a three day ritual. Now I believe I will have to read it in the papers... To much uncertainty..
By The Second Coming
My patience is wearing thin with SPEED. I can forgive the few minute delays I can forgive them broadcasting from a studio in North Carolina or whereever they broadcast from instead of at the race venues... but they're not even making at attempt this year... might as well phone it in.

For those of you not familiar with their format, they've got one guy (Will Buxton) that does go to the races and creates little snippet, interviews and such. Never anything really insightful really, and doesn't seem to get access to the upper echelon of drivers and does not participate in post race interviews. Then there's David Hobbs, and although I can appreciate his pedigree and history, the guy is really not up to speed on what's going on today especially with regulations, rule changes and such. Basically there to give it all legitimacy. There is also Steve Matchett, who's actually not bad, and brings some eagle eyed points of interests to the broadcast. The one paperweight is Bob Varsha that really brings nothing F1 related to the broadcast other than being SPEED's "anchor" man, and currently spends exponentially more time working the Barrett Jackson auctions than he does reading about F1.

The kicker though was yesterday's broadcast, they all went on for a few minutes about DRS, where later in the race during the time Vettel was attempting to catch up to Alonso, Alonso opened up his DRS as well as Vettel and they were all dumbfounded that there was no car ahead of Alonso and so there must be a glitch in the DRS system and they even kept an eye out for it on subsequent laps. No one noticed that Alonso had an HRT in front of him during the DRS detection zone, and had long been past during the DRS activation. That's quality for you.

No worries...all your current woes will end at the close of this season. CBS Sports will be carrying F1 meetings in some fashion next year and beyond. :rolleyes: If you think you have it bad now, just wait. You'll find it best to simply watch races next year with your telly on mute. The team being assembled for the broadcast makes about as much sense as putting John Madden in front of a mic to call cricket matches. Should be fun...YEA! Thanks Grampa Bernie! :irked:

I'm just saying...
By geetface9

No worries...all your current woes will end at the close of this season. CBS Sports will be carrying F1 meetings in some fashion next year and beyond. :rolleyes: If you think you have it bad now, just wait. You'll find it best to simply watch races next year with your telly on mute. The team being assembled for the broadcast makes about as much sense as putting John Madden in front of a mic to call cricket matches. Should be fun...YEA! Thanks Grampa Bernie! :irked:

I'm just saying...

ugh it's gonna be abysmal....I remember watching the rallycross on x games two years ago, and one of the commentators said, "i've seen nascar, I can do that!" at one point when the driver who won stood on top of his car. I facepalmed HARD. :vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit:
By darwin dali
My patience is wearing thin with SPEED. I can forgive the few minute delays I can forgive them broadcasting from a studio in North Carolina or whereever they broadcast from instead of at the race venues... but they're not even making at attempt this year... might as well phone it in.

For those of you not familiar with their format, they've got one guy (Will Buxton) that does go to the races and creates little snippet, interviews and such. Never anything really insightful really, and doesn't seem to get access to the upper echelon of drivers and does not participate in post race interviews. Then there's David Hobbs, and although I can appreciate his pedigree and history, the guy is really not up to speed on what's going on today especially with regulations, rule changes and such. Basically there to give it all legitimacy. There is also Steve Matchett, who's actually not bad, and brings some eagle eyed points of interests to the broadcast. The one paperweight is Bob Varsha that really brings nothing F1 related to the broadcast other than being SPEED's "anchor" man, and currently spends exponentially more time working the Barrett Jackson auctions than he does reading about F1.

The kicker though was yesterday's broadcast, they all went on for a few minutes about DRS, where later in the race during the time Vettel was attempting to catch up to Alonso, Alonso opened up his DRS as well as Vettel and they were all dumbfounded that there was no car ahead of Alonso and so there must be a glitch in the DRS system and they even kept an eye out for it on subsequent laps. No one noticed that Alonso had an HRT in front of him during the DRS detection zone, and had long been past during the DRS activation. That's quality for you.

I'm just saying...

CBS?
It's NBC!
By What's Burning?
I agree with you Neo, but SPEED was at least dedicated to showing every race. My fear is that NBC will be similar to Fox Broadcasting over the summer. They are at the formation lap when it airs and they cut away at the checked flag.. You get nothing in the way of pre-race, post-race... Not to mention, what are they going to do with practice and qualifying. It been a three day ritual. Now I believe I will have to read it in the papers... To much uncertainty..

Start emailing them now! Making noise in their forums. If it's handled the way they handled the Olympics then we're all doomed. :hehe:
Buxton has grown on me, but he's no where near Windsor... I can say I miss the guy bumping through the grid to get an interview, and the excitement he brought to it.

For those of you that aren't familiar with the format here, there's ONE guy that gets sent to the races, he's basically a second class citizen and never scores the big interviews. There's ZERO post race interviews, beyond the five minute official podium finishers, and sometimes even those are cut out.

The rest of the crew I'm sure are sitting in a closet sized studio in North Carolina somewhere, or wherever the SPEED studios are. WE GET SQUAT of post race. :banghead:

That said, it's the bird in hand scenario... the only thing worse NBC could do is tape delay it, or introduce fifteen minutes more of commercials, but I'm staying optimistic.
By Stealthgate007

Start emailing them now! Making noise in their forums. If it's handled the way they handled the Olympics then we're all doomed. :hehe:

Yeah, we all need to start making noise!!
By What's Burning?
Merged the SPEED/NBC thread by request. There were conversations going on in both places about the same topic.
By The Second Coming

I'm just saying...

CBS?
It's NBC!

Pardon me, DD...yes, NBC Sports. I always flip those two for some reason. :wink:

I'm just saying...
From GPUpdate.net

"NBC Sports Group has agreed a four-year deal with Bernie Ecclestone to broadcast Formula 1 from the start of the 2013 season. The first campaign of coverage will start with four live races on free-to-air channel NBC next year, with the remaining 16 being shown live on pay-per-view package NBC Sports Network.

All 20 races will also be shown live on NBC Sports Live Extra, which will stream events online as well as on mobile and tablet apps. NBC replaces pay-per-view network Speed, which had held rights to F1 for the last 17 years. The news comes ahead of next month’s new race in Austin, Texas and, from the start of 2013, the USA will boast two races on the calendar as New Jersey also joins the fray.

“We are thrilled to add the top international open-wheel racing series to our already-strong motorsports portfolio,” says Jon Miller, President of Programming at NBC Sports and NBC Sports Network. “Formula 1 is a perfect fit for the NBC Sports Group as it provides content across three platforms — broadcast, cable and digital — for nine months a year, with more than 100 hours of premier programming annually.”

Ecclestone has also shared his praise for the new agreement.

“NBC and its various media assets have a huge profile throughout the United States and I am obviously delighted to have concluded this agreement,” says the head of Formula One Management (FOM). “I feel that they will promote Formula 1 to a level not seen before in the United States. I very much look forward to working with NBC.

“Together, we will endeavour to broaden the scope of Formula 1 coverage available to US viewers incorporating additional digital content in particular that has not been available before.”

The USA last hosted an F1 Grand Prix at Indianapolis in 2007."

This is really stupid. You want to kill what small interest there is in the US for F1, this is the way to do it. 4 races a year, the rest pay per view? I give up. There isn't anyone that isn't already a die hard fan in the U S that's going to pay to watch these races. Bernie just wants as much money to line his pockets as possible, then he'll move the races to Nicaragua, Niger, or whatever country whose third world dictator will pay him millions for the rights to a race.

See our F1 related articles too!