FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For Formula One and Motorsport related videos and images.
By andrew
I think the sky sports coverage is more like £20 per race really. But even so. I wouldn't pay £20 to watch a film in the cinema. It's absurd.

Try £48 and you'll be closer. That's what they just reported on the news.
By flyingbananatree
I guess i`ve got to watch F1 in a pub from now on then, thanks beeb. :censored: I`ve followed and loved F1 since I was 8 years old and won`t let this stupid ruling beat me, but nor will I get rip off sky. I wonder if I can get the australian chanel oneHDs streaming site to work in the UK.....
By Denthúl
I think the sky sports coverage is more like £20 per race really. But even so. I wouldn't pay £20 to watch a film in the cinema. It's absurd.

It depends on how you look at it. For 20 races, then it's about £24. But you can watch half of those races for nothing more than your licence fee... If you want HD, it's more like £60/race.
By flyingbananatree

Try £48 and you'll be closer. That's what they just reported on the news.

£48 is for the top whack, knock about a tenner off for the movie chanels. Either way it`s rediculous cashing-in of the sports biggest supporter base, the brits. Isn`t that what the beeb is supposed to be for, showing things of intrest to the nation. I`m pretty sure there are more people intrested in following F1 than the outdated olympics, but where`s all the money going I wonder?
By Denthúl
I`m pretty sure there are more people intrested in following F1 than the outdated olympics, but where`s all the money going I wonder?

Match of the Day, a highlights show which costs much more than Formula One's full coverage. Strictly Come Dancing, Eastenders, some of the waste of space programming on BBC Three... Looks like freezing the licence fee was a great idea, eh?
By Jameseh
If BBC really cared about F1 but were short on cash they wouldn't have signed a 6 year deal.

Now $ly $ports will put it on Sky Sports 3 so it doesn't interrupt their precious football and Virgin Media customers can't watch in HD.

bar stewards.
By sennasational
Firstly, the sponsors wont like this...not one bit. I'd imagine a fair few of them will walk away from the sport when they see the dreadful viewing figures after the first year.

F1 fans are generally not sky subscribers as we clearly saw when sky had F1 a few years back. I think this will cost F1 big time.

I won't be paying for sky to follow F1.
By F1IsInMyBlood
More is Better according to John Watson, but of course he works for Sky.

Link including a video of interview with John Watson:
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 89,00.html

Another link form Sky:
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 82,00.html

From Autosport:

Sky Sports has confirmed that it will not run adverts during its broadcast coverage of Formula 1 races next year, and will instead limit them to the pre and post-race show.

The broadcaster announced on Friday morning that it will screen every race, qualifying and practice session of the 2012 F1 season live while BBC Sport will scale-back its coverage to include just half the races.

Adverts became hugely unpopular with UK television audiences when F1 switched from the BBC to ITV in 1997, and a number of key moments during races - including Damon Hill taking the lead of that year's Hungarian Grand Prix in an Arrows - were missed as a result.

A spokesperson for Sky Sports told AUTOSPORT: "We won't have adverts while the races are running. We know they were very unpopular in the past and we don't have to go down that route."

The broadcaster has no plans to introduce a 'pay-per-view' scheme for races, meaning that fans will have to purchase a Sky Sports package and pay from £31.95 per month for it.

Sky Sports News, which is available on all Sky packages without the need for a Sky Sports subscription, will feature pre and post-race analysis in addition to that broadcast on Sky Sports.

Everything broadcast on Sky Sports will also be available online and via mobile and tablet.

BBC will continue to show highlights of each race it does not broadcast live.

By xkv
I bet that Barbara Slater from the BBC has never watched a F1 race ever! It is pointless people like these who make stupid decisions that fans have to live with. BBC had a deal until 2012 but they decided to negotiate now to have a half-arsed extension!

As someone posted earlier, its the half-arsed BBC approach that's led to the deal. If the BBC had dropped F1 altogether, it is unlikely it would have gone on pay TV.

It wouldn't surprise me if phone hacking and every other trick in the book was used to get F1 off free-to-air!
By bud
Wonder what this means for Australian viewers, One rebroadcasts the BBC coverage.
By Ichabod
Sky to show F1 races without adverts in 2012

29 July 2011 by Keith Collantine

F1 fans in the UK have reacted angrily to today’s news that Sky TV will take over much F1 broadcasting.

From next year, the only way to see a full season of F1 will be to buy a Sky Sports subscription. And they don’t come cheap.

For 12 months of Sky Sports a new user will have to pay £487*. And that’s only if you want to see the action in standard definition.

To see every F1 race in HD next year the price goes up to an eye-watering £610. No wonder Sky just announced annual profits of more than £1bn.

This is surely not what F1 Teams’ Association chairman Martin Whitmarsh had in mind last month when he said: “It’s crucial to the commercial model of Formula 1 that TV coverage should remain free-to-air, and therefore universally accessible, and therefore widely consumed and enjoyed by large numbers of viewers – and the BBC delivers that in the UK.”

It was a hot topic during the recent F1 Fans’ Forum at Silverstone where Whitmarsh told the assembled fans: “All of the FOTA teams believe in free-to-air television.”

The BBC says it will continue to show “half” of the races live. So far three out of a potential 21 rounds have been confirmed.

The upshot of this is clear: for F1 fans, who want to see all 20-odd rounds of their favourite sport, the broadcast is no longer free-to-air.

It is also exactly why the British government should have added F1 races to list of protected events when it last had the chance to do so in 2009.

There is hope for fans yet as the new deal may infringe upon the teams’ contract with Bernie Ecclestone.

Whitmarsh said last month: “Our current contracts require that F1 remain on free-to-air and the teams, through FOTA, are clearly going to safeguard their business interests and the interests of the fans in this regard.”

Let’s see if FOTA do what they said they would and safeguard the interests of fans who want to continue watching F1 as they can this year without paying over £600 to do so

we need to let the teams we will turn off
sponsors will love that

fingers crossed FOTA don't lie as much as Bernie the A*****e
By tco
The only action available is to register your complaint with the BBC at this address.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/

you can also try: '[email protected]'

It stinks! I am a pensioner and now unable to visit even Silverstone. I cannot afford to watch sky sports. BS claims that this keeps F1 GP on BBC for another five years, but they have already torn up one contract what is to stop them doing so again? By linking with sky they have taken the free to air option away from UK fans. By the end of 2013 (the original conttact period) ITv may have been in a position to take up the sport in which the BBC no longer have any interest. I know the ads were un popular, but I think they may have learnt that now.

See our F1 related articles too!