FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For Formula One and Motorsport related videos and images.
I hope not, if it goes to pay tv in the UK doesn't really mean that us folk in Aus will need pay tv aswell so it might not have a effect as much here down under if the F1 coverage goes elsewhere, but if it does go to pay tv i will probably buckle under and get myself the pay tv sport package.
After the Canadian Grand Prix gave the BBC some incredibly high ratings, I doubt the BBC would drop it through choice. I'm still not sure if the pay TV thing is good, but I would definitely pay to watch it, whatever.
After the Canadian Grand Prix gave the BBC some incredibly high ratings, I doubt the BBC would drop it through choice. I'm still not sure if the pay TV thing is good, but I would definitely pay to watch it, whatever.

It's said that the BBC has to cut its budget considerably, and the choice might be between having F1, and having the whole BBC4 channel.

£60m for F1 coverage was quoted.

It's said that the BBC has to cut its budget considerably, and the choice might be between having F1, and having the whole BBC4 channel.

£60m for F1 coverage was quoted.

The fact ive never even heard of BB4 speaks volumnes, i thought it stopped at 3.

BBC coverage of any sport blows any network in the entire world out the water, its the biggest, oldest and most established in the world entire, and a move to either a pay-channel or back to ITV with its adverts would be a total joke.
The fact ive never even heard of BB4 speaks volumnes, i thought it stopped at 3.

BBC coverage of any sport blows any network in the entire world out the water, its the biggest, oldest and most established in the world entire, and a move to either a pay-channel or back to ITV with its adverts would be a total joke.

It's easy for us on this forum to say so, but there are many people who don't watch F1 who would be outraged if the entire BBC4 channel was dropped to keep F1. I don't think that overall the decision will be as "obvious" as you paint it.

I believe the teams wouldn't want it to go pay-tv. But, the banks who own the commercial rights may not want to compromise too much on payment for F1 TV rights if no free to air channel wants to take it on.
Speed tv! f1 is the only thing that should be on speed tv. Jk Brits pro ally don't get speed tv

Excellent channel that treats motor racing as a dignified sport
Speed tv! f1 is the only thing that should be on speed tv. Jk Brits pro ally don't get speed tv

Excellent channel that treats motor racing as a dignified sport

:yes:

SPEED TV IS the tv channel dedicated to motor sport, and I would freak if it went away. The only time F1 is free in the US is when it has it stint on FOX.

In saying that, and since I already pay for some sports package that includes SPEED TV, I would pay for whatever it was that had F1 coverage.

Although 80% of SPEED coverage is dedicated to NASCAR, they do give way to GP2, MotoGP, LMS, ALMS, Touring, and other forms of racing that are not just local to America.

And as far as F1 goes on Speed, they do recognize it is the pinnicle of motor sport but don't try to disparige or make less of any other form of motor racing in comparison. They have tact and show real class. Dignified as TSM said.
Having watched the Speed TV coverage and the BBC coverage; I have to say that the BBC coverage is head and shoulders above Speed! If F1 were to move away from free-to-air TV, then it would be the death-knell of F1 in the UK; especially if it goes PPV, maybe subscription would be OK but I doubt many will spend out on a dedicated sports package for F1.
Not a chance I'd buy a pay TV package to watch F1. We don't have Sky and there's really nothing on there that I've ever wanted to watch, so to pay solely to watch one sport would be ridiculous. I'd probably just spend more Sundays outside, to be honest... :P
I actually have access to Sky TV even in the US via a UK VPN service and the fact my father has been a Sky TV subscriber since 1989, I use his Sky TV login to access the SkyPlayer. But I doubt the coverage will be the same with all those adverts; watching Sky TV is like watching US TV, adverts every 10 minutes, one hours of programming ends up being 40 - 45 minutes.

Suffice to say I wouldn't pay for Sky TV; I only ever watch the occasional football match or game of cricket... it's way too costly for 20 - 30 hours of viewing per month!

See our F1 related articles too!