FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For Formula One and Motorsport related videos and images.
I must admit, the coverage of Formula 1 has taken a dive with the BBC. Whats with the lack of in car now days? The only time we seem to get in car is if they are showing a reply from another drivers' perspective. Mostly it's just a trackside view and those stupid shots from the wing or side. Also when someone is ploughing through the pack (noticeably Jenson Button) they don't show it like they used to on ITV, they just have a load of random shots, it's stupid.
I'm not sure you quite understand the coverage. FOM provide the video feed, they control it, they are the ones that choose what we see. The BBC do not control what we see unless it it's analysis like the Red Button coverage.
Try pressing the red button you can watch in car all race long if you wish

The BBC has provided us with far far better coverage than ITV Ever did and without cutting to adverts
halfway through an overtake for the race win
and there's no way ITV would have shown the Canada GP for 5 and a half hours uninterrupted

Bravo BBC
Flynn, I totally disagree with you. For a start, as has been stated in the comments above mine, FOM dictate the camera shots we see during a race on TV.

Furthermore, nothing can be worse than the constant ad-breaks that ITV used to chop up the race with, meaning something big would sometimes happen and we'd have missed it (instead having to watch replays). The worse case of ad-break in a bad place was at the climax of the 2005 San Marino Grand Prix, when Michael Schumacher was hustling Fernando Alonso in a colossal battle for the lead. A few laps from the end, ITV took a break right in the climax of the action. Numerous complaints led ITV to not permitting ad-breaks when less than 15 laps to go.

Finally, the BBC's presenting team is so much better than what we've had in the past. Jake Humphrey, David Coulthard and Eddie Jordan make a terrific team - knowledgeable, passionate and funny. We couldn't ask for better. :drink:
I must admit, the coverage of Formula 1 has taken a dive with the BBC. Whats with the lack of in car now days? The only time we seem to get in car is if they are showing a reply from another drivers' perspective. Mostly it's just a trackside view and those stupid shots from the wing or side. Also when someone is ploughing through the pack (noticeably Jenson Button) they don't show it like they used to on ITV, they just have a load of random shots, it's stupid.

As others have said, clearly you haven't done much research on this - the BBC only control what's shown before and after the race through their own feed. ALL of the race footage is controlled centrally through FOM, and is the same footage that is shown by ALL F1 broadcasters worldwide... kind of destroys your argument (in a BBC v ITV sense of course, not necessarily relating to the substantive issue of camera angles used by FOM) I'm afraid...
I can't compare anyone to other F1 coverage, but I can compare them to other sports, and I think they're one of the best teams I've seen. I particularly like Martin Brundle as the play-by-play guy. And Coulthard won me over with a Death Race 2000 reference a few races ago.
The one thing i preferred about the ITV coverage were some of the excellent features they ran. The BBC coverage lacks these, and if they do appear it's nowhere near as often nor is it as insightful (ie, Jake Humphrey trying to race a Lotus Elise? meh...). A couple of examples of the ITV features i'm talking about:

[youtube]TOhgI1hQA68[/youtube]

[youtube]dyS5ndoA90I[/youtube]

[youtube]SqDYoXl8244[/youtube]

See our F1 related articles too!