FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For Formula One and Motorsport related videos and images.
Well after what was an epic Canadian GP it looks like the great British public were engrossed and the viewing figures were excellent.

BBC one peaked at 8.3 million (just second to Brazil 2009) and the BBC two show peaked at 6.1 million. Overall an ace result for the BBC and F1 fans. Should help support the case for the Beeb extending thier contract ad giving us more well informed and ad free coverage.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 512406.stm
I wonder if the figures rose when there was an overlap during the scheduled "antiques Roadshow"?

MW

No, that was when the race was still in a red flag period. The coverage was highest while still on BBC 1, but peaked again during the race's climax on BBC 2.

Button's thrilling last-lap victory in the Canadian Grand Prix on Sunday gave the BBC its second best television audience since the sport returned to the broadcaster in 2009. The average audience for the race on BBC One peaked at 8.3m, just below the record of 8.9m for the Brazilian GP in 2009. The coverage of the race climax on BBC Two between 2100 and 2200 BST peaked at 6.1m.
Source: BBC.
I wonder if the figures rose when there was an overlap during the scheduled "antiques Roadshow"?

MW

700 people apparently complained to the beeb about that. Idiots! 8,000,000 > 700 anyway :rofl:

MW

700 people apparently complained to the beeb about that. Idiots! 8,000,000 > 700 anyway :rofl:

I think the Antique Roadshow demographic would be just the demographic to complain.
BBC not going to bid for F1 contract after 2012. It costs then £1 per viewer per race , other prgrammes cost 7p. What chance Bernie reducing it? Ziltch I guess. he has to keep his daughters in Villas.
I seriously hope that f1 stays on the BBC i enjoy it soooo much more then when it used to be on ITV1....no annoying adverts....and if you look at the amount of viewers its getting this year...i dont see any reason for them to get rid
If it doesn't stay with the bbc i have a terrible feeling it will go to sky,if so it's dodgy links or not watching.I refuse to pay for it.It's already ruined football,hopefully it won't F1 as well :rolleyes:
If it doesn't stay with the bbc i have a terrible feeling it will go to sky,if so it's dodgy links or not watching.I refuse to pay for it.It's already ruined football,hopefully it won't F1 as well :rolleyes:

Sky takes over everything these days...meh...i dont have it and i dont want it...if they do get rid i dunno how i will get to watch it :(
Hmm. I much prefer BBC to ITV, but ITV is way more preferable than SKY. I fear it will be SKY. I'll have a dilema because i dont subscribe to SKY nor do i really want to :(
I know people who are not that big on F1 but still stumbled across the race while channel hopping and they ended up being glad they watched. :thumbup:

I hope it stays on the BBC as that is the home of F1 in my opinion. ITV wrecked it with adverts at the most important parts of a GP.

Id be very worried if Sky got hold of F1 and ended up making it like some WWE pay per view weekend.
Hmm. I much prefer BBC to ITV, but ITV is way more preferable than SKY. I fear it will be SKY. I'll have a dilema because i dont subscribe to SKY nor do i really want to :(

No, it could never go to pay per view, the sponsors would leave in droves. Sky were just looking to boost their share price and sniff out the market for any potential investors with some clever media articles.

The BBC coverage is getting better every week. I love all the new animations and the way they present their features, absolute world class. I just hope we never loose the BBC, they are the cat's whiskers.

See our F1 related articles too!