FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For Formula One and Motorsport related videos and images.
By LewEngBridewell
There's just been a great documentary on BBC 2 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula ... 631434.stm) about the great F1 commentator that is Murray Walker. Every time I see or listen to this amazing man, I can't help but grin from ear to ear.

He's been an integral part of motorsport, and especially F1, for so very many years, and his passion and love for the sport makes him a great inspiration. So many famous quotes, and so many amazing memories. I was almost in tears by the end of the programme. What a brilliant person. :clap::thumbup:

Here's to Murray Walker! :drink:

"When I was in the commentary box, I was a man possessed," says Murray Walker. "I was in love with what I was doing."

One of Formula 1's true legends, Walker commentated on his first grand prix way back in 1949.

"It was Murray's voice that was getting your attention," explains 1996 world champion Damon Hill. "Murray's voice is almost like a motorcycle engine in itself.

"I followed Murray and Nigel Mansell before I got into F1. Murray was very important. You knew that if Murray was talking to you, you were part of the story."

Mansell, who won the world title for Williams in 1992, adds: "When it wasn't exciting, he made it exciting. I have no problem saying I love Murray very much.
Martin Brundle, who worked with Walker and has now taken on the role of lead commentator, agrees there is no-one who compares to Walker.

"He was so engrossed in his commentary that I felt sure that if I tiptoed out of the commentary box and went home he wouldn't notice until the end of the race," says Brundle.

"I don't think I'm stepping into Murray Walker's shoes because they broke the mould when Murray was born. There won't be another Murray Walker, so stop looking."

(And if you'd like to see him commentate on snooker, it's here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl-oAsDCGNA)
By myownalias
I really do miss Murray Walker's commentary on F1; I like Martin Brundle but he's not a patch on Murray as Brundle admitted himself; It was a sad day when Murray Walker decided to step away from the microphone; his voice was as much a part of F1 as the teams and cars, his voice is synonymous with Forumula 1 and other motorsports, isn't it about time Murray had "Sir" before his name?
By LewEngBridewell
isn't it about time Murray had "Sir" before his name?

Oh yes, obsolutely! Without a doubt. :yes:

See our F1 related articles too!