FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For Formula One and Motorsport related videos and images.
By Gaz
What did everyone thing of Martin Brundle and DC?

I thought it was very good, there was good chemistry, a few mistakes from Martin but he quickly corrected himself.

He Spotted things very quickly and his commentary was exciting and very informative.
By Jensonb
It was good, much better chemistry than last year.
By scotty
DC was very quiet at first... but once he got talking he was really rather good, he noticed Hamilton's floor was broken amazingly quickly for example.
By Bubbie
I think they did an admirable job for their first real outing. But there is definitely room for improvement. Like the new gizmos I am going to give them more time to learn how to work together.

As was mentioned, DC needs to turn the gain on his mic up a little bit. Martin seems a little rushed to get the info out there and speak all the time. For all the beating we did on Legard, I think Brundle found out this weekend just how easy it is to make a mistake when you are the commentary guy instead of the colour guy.
By vlad
DC was very quiet at first... but once he got talking he was really rather good, he noticed Hamilton's floor was broken amazingly quickly for example.

He was driving that car... :hehe:
I thought they both did a good job; it's good to have two former drivers commentating on the races; they are both knowledgeable about the cars and the regulations which is a big plus point as they can give us; the fans a better insight into the sport and all it's aspects from the strategy to the technical aspects.
By killem2
I liked last years guys excitement (sorry I don't know his name) he just was very exuberant during the races. I'd personally like to have all three up there.
By Amanda
I liked last years guys excitement (sorry I don't know his name) he just was very exuberant during the races. I'd personally like to have all three up there.

Someone liked Legard :eek: You're the first person I've met to say that.

I though DC and Brundle were very good and will probably only get better the more races they cover.
By scotty

:hehe: He was ok at the start of 2009 but just wore me down gradually from then on....
By Jensonb

:hehe: He was ok at the start of 2009 but just wore me down gradually from then on....

That's my assessment too. I'd like to make it clear though, he was always better than James Allen who is clearly a journalist, not a commentator.
By FRAFPDD
Dont really like Martin Brundle at first impressions as a lead, or DC as a commentator full stop...........

Always room for more exciting Grand Prixs, and improvements from both. But a Grand Prix start, strike that, the start of the first race of the season, and Brundles commentary had well and truly neutuered it. It was boring compared to both Allen and Legard. His voice just isnt right for it.
By killem2

I though DC and Brundle were very good and will probably only get better the more races they cover.

Yeah him, I like that shouty over the top spastic voice lol.

OH NOOOOOEE SHUMACHER ALMOST PUT HIM IN THE WALL THERE!

Yeah I liked him. Oh well.
By Jensonb
I tell you what I noticed over the course of the BBC's coverage:

Martin Brundle is running the damn show. I already kind of suspected that was the case when I found out he'd managed to oust Legard, replacing him with himself, and bring his former(?) client David Coulthard into the Commentary Box. That sort of thing is mind-blowing considering BBC Internal Politics. Lo and behold, the race rolls around and Brundle is not only prolific - appearing in buildup, as the lead commentator and penning a column online - he has also created at least one all new position for himself - in-depth race analysis in the Forum.

The BBC clearly consider Brundle the key talent. He's the heart and soul of the whole BBC F1 operation. Your mileage may vary as to how good or bad a fact that is.

One has to wonder how much the BBC's efforts to use Brundle as the lynchpin of the coverage has to do with the fact that BBC Sport Golden Sun Jake Humphrey, handed the F1 Presenting Job (The most visible sports presenting job outside of Football that the BBC regularly has) as a sign of his favourite son status, will be headlining the BBC's 2012 Olympics Coverage - easily the biggest Sports Presenting job on British TV in the modern era.

With Humphrey likely to be unavailable for at least part of the 2012 season, and possibly even leaving the position outright - whether for the season or permanently - the BBC has pegged the show on Brundle's credibility. Which leads us neatly to the next big question...

Who the hell do they get to take over for Humphrey? Lee McKenzie has subbed for him on the only prior occasion on which he was unavailable, but it seems unlikely that she would be moved permanently from Pitlane reporter to lead presenter. I throw the door open to your speculation on that one.
By Juliet P
I think they'd bring in someone completely new, assuming that if people are happy with Brundle, DC and EJ, they won't mind too much having a newbie in the anchor role.

See our F1 related articles too!