FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Introduce yourself, go on, don't be shy!
Hello (and happy New Year :-) ).

My way into the world of Formula 1 and motorsport in general was little unusual - as a kid I wasnt interested in cars and motorbikes at all, unlike other boys.

I was more a computer guy, played games on ancient ZX Spectrum,then Commodore Amiga, one of the greatest gaming machine of all times.
In 1993 I played this game for the first time. Microprose company didnt have rights to use real names, it annoyed me, I wanted to compete with real pros, real names. I knew only Lauda, Prost, Senna, Berger, Piquet and Patrese :-D I needed more names. At that time everything began :-) I borrowed two books about history of F1 (released in 1985 and late 70s) and took my first F1 lessons. Read about Prost, Senna, Alboreto, Laffite, Piquet, Lauda, Clark, Fangio, G. Hill and other legends, later I bought those books, I am still collecting history books and magazines about F1.

I also checked TV channels and their program, found F1 was broadcasted live on Eurosport, next weekend I turned the TV on in the morning and watched qualifications in Suzka. I took notices and wrote down all the drivers' names to use them in the game :D

Few months later the editor for the game was released and users could change almost everything in the game and made out of it total time waster for every F1 lover - I had spent hundreds of hours with this outstanding piece of art, in 1997 I bought my first PC and sequel to F1GP game, Grand Prix 2, with real names (from 1994 season). Editors and other utilities were made shortly after release, to this date upgrades are still released and this game has got plenty of fans over the world. Watch this video (watch from 2.14 and compare with not modified GP2) to check how the game might be changed and adpated (car shapes, circuits, adverts, drivers and cars performance, names, graphics, sound, animations, really everything).
I played GP3, few F1 games for Playstation 2, they have never impressed me as much as Grand Prix 2 for PC, this grandmother got playbality like any other game.

From world of gaming back to F1: :-)

From season 1994 I watched regularly every single race, including terrifying Imola, watched Monday summaries from previous weekends (all on Eurosport). Schumi, Hill, young Coulthard, Berger, Alesi, Brundle, Barrichello and others, great John Watson's commentary (I took my first english lessons watching Eurosport :D ), Mansell's comeback - I became hooked on F1. Still remember the last race in the season (Australia), I woke up in the early morning to watch Hill's chase for points to catch up on Schumi (two years later I woke up in the night again to watch Hill's struggle for his first title), Schumacher's black flag, 1994 is for me almost the same like first s3x memories :hehe:

After Hill's retirement, when Schumi dominated F1, I tended to think that F1 became more boring. I know these laments were used in 90s by people who had remembered 80s (these complainers :D ) but sometimes while watching F1 I caught myself thinking about turning TV off. I thought only one driver might bring more excitment in F1, JP Montoya, unfortunately he left F1 very soon.

Last couple of years I was totally out of F1 world, only read results in newspaper, watched one or two races in a season, wondered what has happened with F1 :( Thats not the F1 I remember or I read about.

Before last Christmas I was cleaning my flat, wondering what to do with my videotapes, I have collected many doc movies (not only about F1 or sport) over the years, so I decided to buy easycap to convert all my videos to PC (more here). I watched few ice hockey matches I got, Racing is in my Blood (movie about Senna) and few other short movies about F1. After that I read Christopher Hilton's book about Ayrton
(in english its this book: Image)
and felt desire to watch complete races. I was browsing net a bit, found some torrent site, forums, so I registered here and on another forum where are some videos announced with RS/megaupload links.

So I am here :-)
I almost forgot - I am 31 years old, living in the Czech Republic (turn a blind eye to what I've written, tenses and grammar sometimes dont fit :-D ), and still with no interest in cars (but with graphomania :-D) :)

P.S. By accident I quoted this message (instead of editing) so its reposted again, sorry :rolleyes:
Last edited by LazorRamone on 01 Jan 11, 18:43, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to forumula1.com; happy new year, here's to a great 2011 season! Reading your history, I cant help thinking there are a lot of similarities to your path into F1, including the ZX Spectrum and Commodore Amiga and even F1GP, I remember playing that game to death!
Thanks for the warm welcome :-)

Welcome! :wavey:

That was a looooong intro - hope you can contain yourself for future posts :P

Ill try my best, now I am learning how to use quote/edit buttons :rolleyes::D

Welcome to forumula1.com; happy new year, here's to a great 2011 season! Reading your history, I cant help thinking there are a lot of similarities to your path into F1, including the ZX Spectrum and Commodore Amiga and even F1GP, I remember playing that game to death!

Great to meet former Speccy user and Amigan :-)

See our F1 related articles too!