FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
With Kers, and I imagine with electric/hybrid cars the motor can also act as a generator to charge up the batteries.

Indeed. However, the motor will also be using the batteries, so I feel some external charging will still be needed, at least with the current technology. Maybe in the future the motor could be efficient enough to be self-sustaining.
I'm really not wanting you to give up thinking about things or put you off but you should be showing figures for an idea like this, for example how much energy has to go to the electromagnets to provide the equivelent force as that from an ICE combustion stroke, and why it would be desirable for it to be pulsed in that way, tbh I have my doubts about efficiency, particularly if you're having it keep turning when the car isn't being driven and with losses through a transmission.

/dragons den

Honestly I'm not trying to put you off, I like alternative thinking so prove me wrong.
At the moment this is simply an idea I'm putting out there- Its just that I feel Internal Combustion Engines are quite old so I'm thinking of alternatives. While a normal electric car might be better for the road, a pulse engine might be of better use in racing.

See our F1 related articles too!