FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
By darwin dali
ESPNF1:

Team boss Ross Brawn is confident Mercedes will start to reap the rewards of its new exhaust system over the next two races.

The team introduced a new 'Coanda' exhaust at the Young Driver Test in Magny-Cours and raced the new layout for the first time in Singapore. The exhaust is similar to those on other leading cars - using the Coanda effect of airflow being attracted to nearby surfaces - and is designed to use exhaust gases to boost rear downforce.

Brawn said Singapore had been a learning process, but that he was confident the exhaust would produce results soon.

"It's quite difficult. A the Young Driver Test we were able to do a clean back-to-back which was quite helpful. Here in Singapore is our first time using them in anger and it took a little time [on Friday] to sort them out. We were not in the best of shape but the guys did a good job to change the set-up and use the strengths of the upgrade. We do know from observing other people who have made the transition to a Coanda exhaust that it takes a few races to understand it and get everything working. But it looks pretty positive, so we're reasonably happy.

"There are still other things coming and we've already got some upgrades to it because you start to understand the influence of the local geometry on the system. Obviously the way the exhaust exits that channel and all of that side of things are developing quite quickly. We will be in better shape at the next race and better shape again at the race after that. Both the drivers need experience of how to use the system and we need to get the most out of it."

Brawn said Mercedes was happy to learn during the races this season as the knowledge and data would then be applied to next year's car.

"It was one of the factors for sure. We decided that we had to get stuck into it before the end of the year because we didn't want to be learning about it over the winter. I think this is reasonable timing so yes it was a consideration."

Ross, here's a little hint to help you further (and very cheap):
[youtube]AvLwqRCbGKY[/youtube]
By vlad
Damn, that science is simple! :hehe:
By madbrad
So Ross just needs to glue 100 plastic spoons to the underside of the wing?
By darwin dali
So Ross just needs to glue 100 plastic spoons to the underside of the wing?

Yeah, but the tricky part is the angle at which they are glued :P
By madbrad
As long as the convex side is down the air will pull the car down. What's to figure out? Optimal angle will net a marginal improvement over that. He just need a kitchen tap to figure it out. Should take about 5 minutes, including rooting through the junk drawer for some sticky tape and a nappy pin.

Hey wait I had a spark in my head. What if the spoons were glued to the whole floor of the car? Does Carrefour have jabrock spoons?
By What's Burning?
As long as the convex side is down the air will pull the car down. What's to figure out? Optimal angle will net a marginal improvement over that. He just need a kitchen tap to figure it out. Should take about 5 minutes, including rooting through the junk drawer for some sticky tape and a nappy pin.

Hey wait I had a spark in my head. What if the spoons were glued to the whole floor of the car? Does Carrefour have jabrock spoons?

Yeah but which spoons... 7-Eleven or Starbuck's, you know they'd have to do spoon testing in Japan.
By darwin dali

Yeah but which spoons... 7-Eleven or Starbuck's, you know they'd have to do spoon testing in Japan.

Oooh, spooning :cloud9:
By Jabberwocky
bet it does not work with the wooden spoons from Mcdonalds.

At what speed does this come into effect? would it not become less useful the faster the car is travelling as the exhaust gasses in different gears will cause effect, plus that movement of the car through the air?
By madbrad
I dunno it seems the faster you go the more downforce you get. Of course you only need so much downforce in a straight. More than what you need will just require more power in order to move. We need a way to stall the spoons, like say when you hit the brakes they become unstalled to add downforce for the turn. But without any moving parts. This is getting complicated. We need some sort of secondary coanda to control the primary coanda. We need an F-SPOON!
By Jabberwocky
I dunno it seems the faster you go the more downforce you get. Of course you only need so much downforce in a straight. More than what you need will just require more power in order to move. We need a way to stall the spoons, like say when you hit the brakes they become unstalled to add downforce for the turn. But without any moving parts. This is getting complicated. We need some sort of secondary coanda to control the primary coanda. We need an F-SPOON!

Maybe you would need a F-ORK as well
By darwin dali
Ah but the SPORK has the benefits of both.

I think the solution is Spock or his ears to be precise:
By madbrad
Well basically anything U shaped would work, so, you know, F-U.

And DD, that's illogical.
Last edited by madbrad on 27 Sep 12, 13:50, edited 1 time in total.
By madbrad
oops double post
Last edited by madbrad on 27 Sep 12, 13:50, edited 1 time in total.

See our F1 related articles too!