FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
ESPNF1:
Formula One teams have agreed to go ahead with regulations that will allow designers to cover up the current cars' stepped noses in 2013.

The distinctive look of ten of this year's 12 Formula One cars was a major talking point at the start of the season and on the whole received negative feedback from fans. The noses are a side-effect of regulations for 2012 aimed at protecting drivers from head-on or side-impacts and have resulted in a noticeable step in the noses of all the cars bar the McLaren and Marussia.

However, McLaren technical director Paddy Lowe has confirmed that the teams will have the option of introducing a panel to hide the step in 2013.

"We have agreed a rule that allows a 'modesty panel', which in effect means you can take the existing cars and exiting structures that have a step and put a cover there," he said. "The way it's managed is that the laminate and size of that panel is limited so that you can't create an aero [advantage] out of it and also so that it plays no part in the forward impact."

The FIA has yet to sign off next year's technical regulations, but with all the teams in agreement over the 'modesty panel', Lowe said the change will go ahead.

"It hasn't been formalised but all the teams agree with it and I can't see any reason that it shouldn't happen. If we all agree at a technical level that it's a good thing to do then it will happen; I can't see any real obstacle to that. It gets contentious in other areas that are more political."

I had to double-check my calendar when I read this: is it already April fools' day again? But, whatever...
well it said that it would not be used for aero gain, so I thought a quick bit of a mesh whould hide the step, and not give much if any aero gain

I would think some sort of clip or bolt on carbon fibre panel that is either sloped or curved downwards towards the tip of the nose. Guessing it might have a small aero effect that would be accepted.
We'll look back on this years cars in times to come and say "wow, what were they thinking back in those days?" Mind you, we've all got used to them now, and who knows what cars will look like in decades to come?
Interim solution cause if i remember correctly the noses will be much lower in 2014 due to a rule change on that.

It's a bit stupid to actually create a rule for this it makes sense on a lot of levels really, it does the job needed for just the one season with no drawbacks. Although modesty panel is a phrase better suited to bladder control products.
As my sig says

"A racing car that does not win, is just art"

so does it matter what it looks like?

Essentially no, but it's a nice bonus when a car looks great!

See our F1 related articles too!