FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
Hi all. I should preface this by saying that my technical knowledge of cars in general is minimal. I'm aware they require oil and have 4 tyres. Knowledge done.

My question is regarding gearbox replacement. Di Resta had a very good qualifying session today at Monza and I'm wondering if his ability to contend with the leaders was anything to do with his 'fresh' gearbox over his opponents who may be running one 3 or 4 races old?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question in comparison to the intricate ones discussed on this forum!
Like any mechanical part, when it's new, it performs better, and because it's new, a driver can be more aggressive with gear changes which may improve time. But that being said, I suspect the difference will be minimal as the gear change is electronic and not an manual action. Bottom line in this case I believe is that that di Resta has a storming lap!
Thanks for the reply. This will open the floodgates, expect more questions from me in the near future!

Post away, i love the technical stuff :)
Forgive me if this is a stupid question in comparison to the intricate ones discussed on this forum!

:blush: you flatter us. sometimes it feels as if the intricate discussion on this forum are all about some nonsense conspiracy or other.

See our F1 related articles too!