FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
Pathetic to close a loophole that what being exploited? Why?

I think you're confusing innovation with pushing the rules into gray area.

Mercede's double DRS, that's innovation, McLaren's F-duct, that's innovation, Lotus' side blowing exhaust, and so on and so on... Even the idea of the EBD was allowed to run through the entire season and it was innovative. There's a marked difference between innovation and an exploitation of gray wording in the rules. Red Bull should be thankful that it was gray enough that they didn't have their points haul from the last two GPs taken from them.
By andrew
Part of any sport is exploiting the loopholes and pushing the rules as far as you can. That's what the best have always done. The FiA can't have rules that are, in some areas, loose and full of loopholes and then copmplain the minute someone exploits the laxity of the rules.
I think the engine map was the same all season,anyway discuss below.I wonder how this will affect Hungary.
Full story here:'FIA forces Red Bull throttle map change'
Red Bull Racing will be forced to change its engine map settings ahead of this weekend's Hungarian Grand Prix, with the double title-winning squad coming under scrutiny at the most recent event in Germany. According to governing body the FIA, the team was using its throttle maps to improve cornering speed and traction performance, which is a breach of article 5.5.3 in the current sporting regulations.

At Hockenheim, Red Bull heads were summoned to the stewards to explain what technical delegate Jo Bauer explained was a differeing set of maps compared to those that had previously been used in 2012. Despite the FIA disagreeing with certain aspects of the team's argument, it declared both Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber's cars legal and the drivers were able to race without any known ramifications.

However, according to BBC Sport, the FIA has now clarified its position. Prior to this weekend's Hungaroring event, teams were allowed to freely change their torque maps from race to race, but this is no longer the case and an engine map from the opening four races of the season must now be submitted as a reference.

"Above 6,000rpm, the maximum engine torque may vary by no more than +/- 2%," read a rule clarification from the FIA, regarding the new reference map regulation. "And the ignition angle may vary by no more than 2.5%."

The benefit of this torque mapping tweak is unknown, but Red Bull (and any other teams exploting the wording of article 5.5.3) will need to revert back to an older setting.
I don't think they went against the rulebook, just skirted around it like they normally do.

Rule seems to have changed again, so we'll see how much this affects Redbull in Hungary.
I don't think they went against the rulebook, just skirted around it like they normally do.

Rule seems to have changed again, so we'll see how much this affects Redbull in Hungary.
U make me feel like I made a thread for nothing! :banghead::crying::censored:

Maybe you did. :blush:

Maybe you did. :blush:

:banghead::censored: Maybe we should delete this this thread,I'am so dumb :confused::( or move it.
I don't think it should be deleted because the question makes sense.I haven't yet to understand what actually was illegal and what was not because the news are just complicated and every weekend there is something different :confused:
Part of any sport is exploiting the loopholes and pushing the rules as far as you can. That's what the best have always done. The FiA can't have rules that are, in some areas, loose and full of loopholes and then copmplain the minute someone exploits the laxity of the rules.

They didn't complain, they simply clarified the rules... so what is it about that you don't like? After all how do you know when loopholes are being exploited other than by another team complaining? The alternative would have been to let it stand and let other teams employ a similar exploitation of the rules in a few weeks, perhaps even by the first GP back from the break but they decided to simply clarify the rules since the rules did have a clear intent that was being disregarded in this case by Red Bull.

So it's all solved now. :yes:
Let's not forget something here....how does a team go from being on par with the top runners and then jump to a 1.5secs/lap advantage to coming back down to being even...all in 3 races????? from Valencia to Hockenheim. Red Bull is blatantly overcooking the rule books and it's time they are stopped. Wondering why Adrian will allow his legacy to be tainted by a drinks company. #bewildered
Let's not forget something here....how does a team go from being on par with the top runners and then jump to a 1.5secs/lap advantage to coming back down to being even...all in 3 races????? from Valencia to Hockenheim. Red Bull is blatantly overcooking the rule books and it's time they are stopped. Wondering why Adrian will allow his legacy to be tainted by a drinks company. #bewildered

Redbull was not that much quicker in Valencia....it was just Hamilton and McLaren being very slow and slowing down Grosjean and the pack behind. There was a massive train (the longest we had this season) behind the 2nd placed McLaren...as soon as Grosjean got past he started matching Vettel's times.

Redbull was not that much quicker in Valencia....it was just Hamilton and McLaren being very slow and slowing down Grosjean and the pack behind. There was a massive train (the longest we had this season) behind the 2nd placed McLaren...as soon as Grosjean got past he started matching Vettel's times.

I agree with that because McLaren was a complete mess.But it seemed as if Ferrari wasn't fast at all?
Nin-Chin, your thread isn't pointless or stupid, but you might want to use the search feature as we have already covered this issue! :)

As to your question; the Red Bull was legal because it passed scrutineering at every race; they took advantage of a loophole in the rules, which was legal until Hungary where the loophole was closed!
Nin-Chin, your thread isn't pointless or stupid, but you might want to use the search feature as we have already covered this issue! :)

As to your question; the Red Bull was legal because it passed scrutineering at every race; they took advantage of a loophole in the rules, which was legal until Hungary where the loophole was closed!

Understood. :yes:

See our F1 related articles too!