FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
The lowdown is Red Bull not having a dominant car. Given their points haul over the last two races, do you think today's lack of performance was a coincidence?
The car was deemed legal so there doesn't seem to be anything going on.

The statements by the FIA are not that simple.

Although stewards subsequently deemed the Red Bull to be legal, the statement the FIA issued confirming that no action would be taken was equivocal.

It referred to the fact that the stewards "do not accept all the arguments of the team", suggesting that further action could be taken to curb the torque maps used by Red Bull to force it to change its engine maps.

In other words, they weren't excluded from any part of the German race, but the FIA and/or their stewards don't think it's a clear case of legality.
By Ral
Red Bull are excellent at misinterpreting rules. It's the FIA's rule makers who should be under scrutiny.

What I don't understand is if RB have been doing this all season WHY hasn't this been brought up before? Something fishy going on.
By andrew
I find the comments quite contradictory. How can they let a car that they consider to contravene the regulations race? Says to me that it's legal.

Playing with the engine mapping is a no no this year so it should surely be a clear cut case.
Red Bull are excellent at misinterpreting rules. It's the FIA's rule makers who should be under scrutiny.

It's unfortunate that the FIA comes up with rules that have so many grey areas. Particularly because FIA decisions on what is legal or not seem rather inconsistent, it then becomes necessary for teams to push the limits otherwise they have a competitive disadvantage compared to teams that push the limits and get ruled "legal".

What I don't understand is if RB have been doing this all season WHY hasn't this been brought up before? Something fishy going on.

Perhaps because the FIA/stewards didn't notice before, those stewards who did notice thought it legal and didn't take it further, or perhaps because the FIA decided to act now for political reasons.

Could be RB cranked it up only since Valencia - remember the power boost back then? Followed by MW's victory. Now, they may have dialed it down again for Hockenheim to avoid exclusion...
Seems odd that if a team is doing everything by the letter of the rules, as they (Red Bull) say they are, why then have half of their mechanics line up around the entire rear/side of the car while on the grid to block view of the very area of the car that is in question? What's there to hide if you're being good lads? I'm not insinuating that they're cheating...

I'm jus saying...
Seems odd that if a team is doing everything by the letter of the rules, as they (Red Bull) say they are, why then have half of their mechanics line up around the entire rear/side of the car while on the grid to block view of the very area of the car that is in question? What's there to hide if you're being good lads? I'm not insinuating that they're cheating...

I'm jus saying...

To prevent the competition from copying?
Not cheating, per se, just very good at finding loopholes to exploit.

Which is the job of a racing team, while the FIA's job is to enforce the regs.
By smokin
Not cheating, per se, just very good at finding loopholes to exploit.

Which is the job of a racing team, while the FIA's job is to enforce the regs.

Precisely.

See our F1 related articles too!