FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
By andrew
Just watching the race after recording it. Had to watch the crash a couple times when I saw Simoncelli's helmet bouncing along the track.

I hope his main detractors have the decency to keep quiet. Very sad day for MotoGP. Simoncelli was a multiple champion of the future for sure.
By Frontrunner
That is very very sad, to watch that incident and then hear the bad news, just very sad, nuff said :(
By Frontrunner
The reaction from the Malaysian crowd when they announced the race was cancelled was disgusting, I don't think they were informed very well by the guy on the p.a as Gavin on the BBC said. but still awful nonetheless.
By Denthúl
Such a tragic event, only seven days after the loss of Wheldon. Very sad indeed. :(

I can't bring myself to watch it again, but I thought I saw the helmet come away before the second bike struck him. If so, there are some serious safety concerns there.
By andrew
The reaction from the Malaysian crowd when they announced the race was cancelled was disgusting, I don't think they were informed very well by the guy on the p.a as Gavin on the BBC said. but still awful nonetheless.

To be fair they had paid to watch a MotoGP race and then were simply told it was cancelled with no explanation. I can't blame them for being angry at the time.
By bud
Such a tragic event, only seven days after the loss of Wheldon. Very sad indeed. :(

I can't bring myself to watch it again, but I thought I saw the helmet come away before the second bike struck him. If so, there are some serious safety concerns there.

This has hit me harder than Wheldon as watching it live to hearing about it in the morning has had a different response. Seeing the helmet rolling on the track made me feel sick. I think something like a Hans device should be used attaching the helmet to the riders body not just a chin strap.
By DOOOMKULTUS
Horrible horrible crash, can't even imagine whats going through Edwards and Rossi's mind tonight, Rossi was close to Marco off track as well.
3 fatalities in 2 years in Moto series, i would have liked to say its too dangerous and could have been avoided but there is hardly anything that could have been done, you can't prepare for such accidents.

The reaction from the Malaysian crowd when they announced the race was canceled was disgusting, I don't think they were informed very well by the guy on the p.a as Gavin on the BBC said. but still awful nonetheless.

I think that it extremely unfair on the Malaysian crowd from you, even on the telecast it was not made clear what the hell was going on exactly for some time, information was not readily coming through and as such crowd didn't know what was going on.
By Amanda
Horrible horrible crash, can't even imagine whats going through Edwards and Rossi's mind tonight, Rossi was close to Marco off track as well.

I hope they both accept that there was nothing they could do to prevent it and from the moment Marco slid across the track the accident was inevitable. I don't image that makes them feel much better though. Steve Parrish (BBC Commentator) is of the opinion that Rossi might retire after this, I hope he's wrong.
By racechick
Ive wondered about that. He's not getting any younger and things like this bring home how precious life is. I also hope he doesnt retire, he and Marco were my favourites. But he has to do what he has to do. he's given us years and years of top class entertainment.
By Frontrunner
3 fatalities in 2 years in Moto series, i would have liked to say its too dangerous and could have been avoided but there is hardly anything that could have been done, you can't prepare for such accidents.

The reaction from the Malaysian crowd when they announced the race was canceled was disgusting, I don't think they were informed very well by the guy on the p.a as Gavin on the BBC said. but still awful nonetheless.

I think that it extremely unfair on the Malaysian crowd from you, even on the telecast it was not made clear what the hell was going on exactly for some time, information was not readily coming through and as such crowd didn't know what was going on.

Your right, I was a but harsh on them, There are only a couple big screens on the front straight that most spectators can't see, I was just sad and sick at the time, Just deleted that GP off my DVR, That is something i don't want to watch again.
By vlad
What a terrible news!!! Damn! I really liked Simoncelli... :(
Edwards must be killing himself in his head right now... Tragic days for sport.
By racechick

Yes indeed. Edwards and Rossi both. Both bikes hit him and Rossi was a very good friend. He said he was like a younger brother. I think he'll be destroyed. Ducatti have denied rumours that he'll quit, but it really wouldnt suprise me.
By Frontrunner

Yes indeed. Edwards and Rossi both. Both bikes hit him and Rossi was a very good friend. He said he was like a younger brother. I think he'll be destroyed. Ducatti have denied rumours that he'll quit, but it really wouldnt suprise me.

Okay I'm just throwing this out there, How about Rossi taking Marco's vacant ride at Gresini in honour of his mate next year, What do ya think??
By racechick
I dont think so. Maybe ride the next race as a tribute to him but beyond that if he stays it will be out of loyalty and contractual arrangements with Ducatti. He sorted out the Honda, then the Yamaha, it would be great if he did the same with Ducatti. But Im not sure his heart will be there after this.

See our F1 related articles too!