FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
It was the most incredible crash I've ever seen, and I've seen it live.. It's when one car spun to the grass, and the other one few seconds later went straight to the grass (I think it was late braking) and climbed on top the first car, and they were just standing like that... That was so incredible, my jaw was open for 10 minutes! No one was harmed.. Do you remember where and when this was, my guess is 2000, 2001, 2002.. I only became fan of f1 in 2004, so everything before is just blurred.
Ah, i've seen that crash before! It's not F1 though, it was in the old CART/Indycar series. The crash was at Road America involving Brian Herta and Alex Barron - a quick search around tells me the year was 1998.

edit: here's the full footage for anyone interested:

[youtube]DRXymgWiRcY[/youtube]

Also i'm moving this thread to the correct section of the forum :)
Ooooh! Why did I think it was F1... Ahahahaa.. I really had no idea about motorsport back than! Thanks a lot!

I just wanted to see this for safety reasons.. I guess designers could never predict something like this could happen.. If it bounced a little different the tip of the car could stick into the driver's head, than everything would be on the strength of the helmet, and we are not certain about that any more after Massa's helmet puncture, an another thing no one could predict.
Funny enough, the rules of the day had just that sort of thing in mind. IndyCar/Champcar rules were very evolved, in light of the speeds they did on track....

The rules state, that if you run a straight line from the high cockpit opening, to the rear of the roll hoop, the drivers helmet must be at least 50mm below this line. All designed to reduce the possibility of the driver be struck by debris etc.

Also, IndyCar rules didn't allow nose tips that were down at ground level, and carefully stipulated the height of the nose, radius, strength and number of nosecone fasteners etc.

Here's one for you.....
Notice all the front wing endplates have that radiused curve in them? Long ago, they were straight, and one particular driver had his endplates filed, so if he touched the tyre of a car in front, that would cut them like a knife.....
Hence the rule was implimented to add a radius, similar to that of the rear tyre itself, and a minimum plate thickness.

True story......

See our F1 related articles too!