FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
Petter Solberg's driving ban won't affect his participation on the remaining rounds of this season's World Rally Championship, the Norwegian has said in a statement.

Solberg has had his driving licence suspended in Sweden after he was clocked travelling at 112kph in an 80kph limit on the road section heading to the fifth stage of the country’s WRC round on Friday.

The ban kicked-in at 14:00hrs yesterday (Sunday) and meant Solberg’s co-driver Chris Patterson had to get behind the wheel of their Citroen DS3 WRC for the rally-closing Power Stage.

Solberg, who has admitted his guilt and accepted his punishment, explained: “I was delayed leaving the service park after the midday service on Friday. I was of course eager to arrive at the start of stage five in time and I drove too fast.

“I was stopped by the police officer and immediately declared myself guilty as charged which meant that the police withdrew my driving licence. However I, like everyone else, had the right to drive a car for 48 hours after the licence was withdrawn. I was therefore allowed to keep on driving until 14:00hrs on the Sunday but not thereafter. Therefore I and my co-driver Chirs Patterson changed place in the car.

“I tried to get an exemption so that I could drive the last stage as well but this did not work. I have admitted my fault and will pay the fines. I will be prohibited from driving in Sweden, but only in Sweden, for one to two months. So there are no worries, my dedication to the WRC will remain in full force.”

Solberg and Patterson finished fifth overall on the event and claimed three stage wins in the process. Their next event is Rally Guanajuato Mexico from 3-6 March.

I didn't see the last stage only the times. I was wondering where the hell Peter was on the standings and why he had suddenly lost so much time. This sort of crap can cost a driver the title. :banghead:
why is following the law of a country crap? just because he is a professional driver does not mean that he is above the law!

A lorry driver is also a professional driver, does that mean it is ok for him to speed?

He is a professional racing driver I would let that go if I was the cop, no question. I drive at 120kph in 80kph zones quite a lot on back roads to work.

If you are caught speeding over here in Ireland you get a fine. €80 and 2 points on your license which has a 12 point limit. You don't get a driving ban.

112kph in an 80kph zone is only 32kph over the limit. That's just 19mph over the limit.

Given the sort of car he is driving I can see how easily that could happen.

The cops must have pretty tight regualtions everywhere other than Ireland. I personally feel they punished him incredible hard to use him as a cheap example of what speeding will result in for young drivers in Sweden.

He should have got a fine not a freaking driving ban on the day of the offence while competing in a professional world rally event. :banghead:
Would be 4-5points and a fine that in the UK.

no ban

No ban. That's what I thought. I don't think it would result in a ban in most countries to be honest.

If he was doing 150-160 kph, then he deserved the ban. Not for 112kph, specially not in an 80 zone. :banghead2:

no ban

No ban. That's what I thought. I don't think it would result in a ban in most countries to be honest.

If he was doing 150-160 kph, then he deserved the ban. Not for 112kph, specially not in an 80 zone. :banghead2:

so you condone speeding? In most states of this country you not only lose your licence for going 30kmh above the speed limit you also can have your car impounded, as we saw with Hamilton.

no ban

no ban

so you condone speeding? In most states of this country you not only lose your licence for going 30kmh above the speed limit you also can have your car impounded, as we saw with Hamilton.

No I don't condone speeding bud I simply disagree with the ban. Penalty points and fine should have sufficed in this case.

Turns out though that 30kph over the speed limit in Sweden results in a ban.

no ban

That website says you'll get a ban if you do in excess of 75 in a 50.

he was doing 69mph in a 50.

Don't condone speeding but to be fair its not like he was doing 70mph though a highstreet it was prob a duel carrigeway.

Speeding dosn't kill its not driving to the conditions and the car/your limits that kills.

I'm pretty sure he was WELL within his and the cars limits.

Funny thing is, his co-driver had to drive the last stage lol and he did pretty well only 2.5secs slower

See our F1 related articles too!