FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
By Hexagram
Kimi Raikkonen will return to the World Rally Championship this year after his entry for the season-opening Rally Sweden was lodged on Tuesday.

As AUTOSPORT revealed last month, Raikkonen has agreed terms to compete in a Citroen DS3 WRC for 2011 - although the deal has not yet been officially confirmed.

While the lack of an official announcement has prompted speculation about his future, Raikkonen's plans were made clearer on Tuesday when his entry in a Citroen was submitted ahead of the final deadline.

Raikkonen's best result during his debut campaign in the WRC was fifth place on the Rally of Turkey - while he won his first ever stage on the Rallye Deutschland.

The DS3 will be easier to drive. Kimi may well win a rally this year on asphalt or at least have a podium finishes.
Most importantly, him and his co-driver have a bit of experience under their belt now. However, i believe he's no longer driving for the Citroen works teams...
Most importantly, him and his co-driver have a bit of experience under their belt now. However, i believe he's no longer driving for the Citroen works teams...

Yup. :yes:

With the recent rumors about Kimi Raikkonen ending his motorsport career following his father’s death, it’s a relief to hear that the Finn F1 world champion is still up and running! And he will be competing in 2011 World Rally Championship WRC with his own team, named Ice 1 Racing Team.

In 2011 Citroen won’t be running any WRC Junior team and they will just focus on the official team with Sebastien Loeb Sebastien Ogier. So Kimi has to enter with his own team and with his own sponsors. Apparently he has enough funds for just 10 races of the 13 rounds of 2011 WRC calendar, but he will be driving a Citroen DS3.

The former WRC champ Peter Solberg will also compete with Citroen DS3 running his own team, apparently for only one event unless he can come up with more funds!

I hope Kimi can find the funds for all the races. I think he missed just one last year.

I'm surprised Solberg can't get the sponsors. He has a chance of being on the podium at every race he competes in nearly. :yikes:

See our F1 related articles too!