FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
An all terrain race in California saw 8 people killed and 12 injured. Apparantly the vehicle went in the air and schewed sideways and into the crowds. The crowds stand very close at these events. The driver was uninjured but fled the scene as he was stoned by other spectators :yikes:
It's always sad when spectators die in motorsports events, I think organisers should be held responsible for not maintaining proper barriers and crowd control. This was an issue in WRC where it was common for spectators to get killed by the trackside because of cars losing control, I remember times seeing spectators getting literally involved righting cars after ending on their roof. I don't know if that still happens, I haven't watched WRC for some time since most of the manufacturers pulled their support!
It's always sad when spectators die in motorsports events, I think organisers should be held responsible for not maintaining proper barriers and crowd control. This was an issue in WRC where it was common for spectators to get killed by the trackside because of cars losing control, I remember times seeing spectators getting literally involved righting cars after ending on their roof. I don't know if that still happens, I haven't watched WRC for some time since most of the manufacturers pulled their support!

50 miles (the length of the 'track') is an awful lot to put barriers around...

50 miles (the length of the 'track') is an awful lot to put barriers around...

I did say "and crowd control" - marshalls and that sort of thing to keep people away from the edge of the track, even if it's just red and white police cordon.
50 miles is too long even for a police cordon. I don't know what can be done to make rallies safer. I wouldn't want to hang around on a corner with rally cars coming past. But if others want to do it at teir own risk, that's up to them.
By bud
fans attend motor racing events at their own risks. There is disclaimers on tickets. As for Rallies well it doesn't take much common sense to realise watching cars go past you at speed with no barriers is a dangerous way to spend your sunday afternoon.
fans attend motor racing events at their own risks.

I find that amazing in this day and age, health and safety nation n'all... there is so much that you can not do in daily life because of H&S but standing in front of a speeding car is absolutely fine... what a bizarre world we live in... :rolleyes:
It does say so at events. Even at Silverstone with all its health and safety considerations it says it in big letters at the track and also on the tickets.

Most spectators act as marshalls, i watched one in monte carlo i think it was the irc and he dug himself into some ditch/bush and about a dozen helped free the car.
It does say so at events. Even at Silverstone with all its health and safety considerations it says it in big letters at the track and also on the tickets.

Different situation at Silverstone, it's not 50 miles through a forest. Can you even get access to the track during practice/quali/race sessions without climbing a fence?
There was a dispute when the family of a deceased rally fan blamed the forestation comitee that the trees that a driver's car hit into were too frail and broke too easily. Upon impact the tree snapped and came down on the spectator and seriously injuring another bystander. Really odd case and really unfortunate too.
Something like that happened a long time ago when i was a kid, in a race i went. It was a GT race in the 80's.....
I was standing with my father on the inside of the curve (close to a hairpin)... lots of people were on the outside. We felt it was super exciting (but dangerous!) to be on the outside, and decided to move even from the inside to a safer place... about 20 mins later we heard the panic. A car got rear ended into the turn, lost control and took out like 14 people standing on the outside of the turn, killed 6. :( The sound of a car hitting people is very creepy
Something like that happened a long time ago when i was a kid, in a race i went. It was a GT race in the 80's.....
I was standing with my father on the inside of the curve (close to a hairpin)... lots of people were on the outside. We felt it was super exciting (but dangerous!) to be on the outside, and decided to move even from the inside to a safer place... about 20 mins later we heard the panic. A car got rear ended into the turn, lost control and took out like 14 people standing on the outside of the turn, killed 6. :( The sound of a car hitting people is very creepy

:tard::drink::skidmarks::thud::ambulance::deathshead::angel::doh:

See our F1 related articles too!