FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
Ben Spies could have handled the pressure of being promoted to Yamaha’s factory MotoGP squad as cover for injured star Valentino Rossi.

The Texan will find himself in the Fiat squad in 2011 if intense speculation linking Rossi with a big money move to Ducati becomes reality.

But he won’t be given chance to get an earlier than expected opportunity to impress on Rossi’s vacant YZR-M1 machine with the Italian sidelined until at least the middle of August.

Rossi’s crew chief Jerry Burgess reckons Spies could have handled the spotlight with the chance to ride Rossi’s bike inevitably increasing the pressure on the reigning World Superbike champion.

“I think Ben could have handled it but I don’t think it was necessary. He’s in a team with essentially the same bike as Valentino and he’s in an environment and atmosphere that he’s understood since the start of testing.

"It wouldn’t be beneficial in anyway to come over to the factory team. I think it wouldn’t change very much if he did or he didn't," said Burgess.

Japanese test rider Wataru Yoshikawa will replace Rossi from this weekend’s Catalunya race onwards, with the reigning world champion targeting a return in Brno on August 15.

----

My take on Ben is that he has been talented since the first day i saw him race in AMA and was amazed at his style, he really is a one off special that one day will take it to Jorge and Rossi, he is already out doing Edwards & Dovi and they are experienced? It is turning out to be a great turning point for him and i think the immense pressure he served in WSBK has done him well in Moto Gp.

Factory ride for 2011
Spies has the potential, but I think he was right to wait on the factory role.

Give him time to get himself used to the series

Spot on, i think he has proved he can handle the immense pressure of the pro series and has shown up to the show top 3 really, i think and will put myself on a limb here that he is even better at the moment than the likes of Pedrosa and Stoner? He has rode so hard, really proud to be a fan. I think this year he needs to perfect his 'Elbowz' style to MotoGp and get The WSBK winning streak into MotoGp and i think Satellite ride? He will be just as good as Lorenzo in this year. I think given the perfect engineer too, he could be super dominant, but i hope that Lorenzo & Spies could work together in harmony and not like Rossi & Lorenzo? :whip:

See our F1 related articles too!