FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
By racechick
Dreadful news from moto2. Young lad, only 20, died this afternoon after a bad accident. Two more were injured inclding a British rider but I think they're ok-details of the injuries havent been relesed yet.
By Amanda
Today was the first time I'd ever watched Moto2, and this happened. :(

I noticed before the race started that one of the drivers had an 'In memory of...' poster with him for a Peter Lenz too and I wish I hadn't looked it up. In both cases the drivers came off their bikes and were struck by another racer. Peter Lenz was just a kid (13 years old) and Tomizawa was barely an adult.
By racechick

I noticed before the race started that one of the drivers had an 'In memory of...' poster with him for a Peter Lenz too and I wish I hadn't looked it up. In both cases the drivers came off their bikes and were struck by another racer. Peter Lenz was just a kid (13 years old) and Tomizawa was barely an adult.

I looked up that young lad too, the driver who hit him was only 12, how will he cope with that. I hadnt heard about that accident but Rossi referred to it(Indianaoplis last weekend) .
All we can say is they were doing what they loved, and its dangerous. But what a sad waste of life.
By Gaz

I looked up that young lad too, the driver who hit him was only 12, how will he cope with that. I hadnt heard about that accident but Rossi referred to it(Indianaoplis last weekend) .
All we can say is they were doing what they loved, and its dangerous. But what a sad waste of life.

Yeh its a real shame surely they must be somthing they can do to improve safty in regards to riders being hit by other riders.
By Amanda

Yeh its a real shame surely they must be somthing they can do to improve safty in regards to riders being hit by other riders.

What though? You can't limit how closely they follow each other and if one falls then the other is going to head straight into him. I don't know anything about the protective clothing these guys (and kids) wear but I doubt anything is going to protect them from that kind of impact.
By Gaz

What though? You can't limit how closely they follow each other and if one falls then the other is going to head straight into him. I don't know anything about the protective clothing these guys (and kids) wear but I doubt anything is going to protect them from that kind of impact.

perhaps additonal body armour around the front of the rider? I understand they have airbags in the riding suit that depoy for the back how about the same for the front?
By bud
I doubt there would be little they can bring in to prevent being run over like that, at those speeds and the force behind the bike i doubt even something like a bullet proof vest would help.
By The Immortal Dragon
perhaps additonal body armour around the front of the rider? I understand they have airbags in the riding suit that depoy for the back how about the same for the front?

Airbags in the suit can be helpful during a fall; if you get run over I think the airbags would do very little.
By DOOOMKULTUS

Other than faster response from the on track medic and stewards, there is literally Nothing one can do.
Motorcycle racing is The Most dangerous competitive sport on the planet. If a guy gets hits with a 200kmph bike, take in account the momentum of that thing at that speed, and the impulse impact thats its going to give,
only one thing to say These riders have got balls to do what they do and just about anybody can't do what they do.

Racing cars have become safer throughout the years but i am afraid it cant be done to bikes and thats part of the reason what makes it exciting as well(tragic in this case of course) pity that bike racing should be rated higher and followed more than car racing i feel personally. Part of the reason car racing was so popular and exciting in the past was exactly because it was dangerous and people knew this fact, now you see Webber's crash as a Evel Knievel-esq crash test for a movie or something.

Sorry if it came of as insensitive (not the intentions at all) but thats just how i feel and some past era drivers of car racing feel this as well. the Danger is gone, absolutely.
Only way one can die in a F1 car these days is of old age i guess.
By racechick
On a lighter note. Ive just booked moto GP tickets for next season at Silverstone :jump: . Rossi on a Ducati :cloud9: I hope he sorts that shoulder!!
By DOOOMKULTUS
Just imagine the scenes next season at places like Mugello and Misano, last F1 race at monza was all great with the fans and their ferrari banner and all,
i can't wait to see The Legendary Italian Rossi on The Legendary Italian Bike Ducati in an The Legendary Italian GP Race,
its going to be a scandal if he didn't win it, riots possibly :hehe:

See our F1 related articles too!