FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
Formula 1 star Kimi Raikkonen is understood to be ready to sign a deal with Citroen to drive a C4 World Rally Car on all 13 rounds of the 2010 World Rally Championship.
Nothing is signed yet, but a source close to the 2007 F1 World Champion told wrc.com that only small details needed to be tied-up before an official announcement is made in the coming days.
The Finn's 2010 WRC programme is understood to have been funded by Red Bull, one of Raikkonen's personal sponsors, and a major backer of Citroen's World Rally campaign.
Long time rally fan Raikkonen is able to tackle the World Rally Championship season thanks to his decision to take a one year sabbatical from Formula 1.
Raikkonen's only WRC experience to date came on this year's Rally Finland, where he impressed in an Abarth Grande Punto S2000. Despite engine problems he was placed 15th overall when he crashed his car into a ditch on the second day.
If Raikkonen does make the switch to Citroen power for 2010, he'll be in good company. Six-time World Rally Champion Sebastien Loeb has won 26 rallies in the C4 and recently admitted it was his favourite competition car of all time.

http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=10 ... +WRC+deal+

That should make WRC a bit more interesting :D
That is the most unsurprising news I have heard all year, if Kimi does go to WRC I don't expect to see him back in F1 again. Not that his stock is that great anyway, it seems to me that he is in F1 for the money, not for the love of F1 racing which will put off many teams as high wage drives will be coming to an end with all the budget cuts and only a handful of teams having the resources to pay out mega $$$ for drivers. I can see him racing in WRC for considerably less as he genuinely seems to enjoy it!
I think he has just had enough of the bull s**t that goes with being an F1 driver. where as WRC is more fan/driver friendly

I wholeheartedly believe that if you think it's time for a change, you should change it up as sticking with something you don't enjoy makes a massive difference to your day to day attitude. But I believe that Kimi has never really been very animated as a F1 driver, but as a WRC driver he seems much more animated and happier.

So I say good luck to him, he is clearly a talented driver but F1 isn't where his heart is I believe!
Why would you just turn up at F1 if you did not care for it?... then again because he could is probably the answer.

Why do most people take a job they don't like? MONEY, you'll turn up at a job you hate week after week if it pays better than a job you like! Wages in WRC aren't anywhere near as astronomical as F1. I don't blame Raikkonen for doing it, I would probably have done the same if I had the driving talent, I simply don't believe F1 is his first love!
hm maybe not...
Citroen denies Raikkonen deal

By David Evans Monday, November 30th 2009, 09:22 GMT

Citroen Racing team principal Olivier Quesnel has denied any contact with Kimi Raikkonen - despite ongoing rumours that the Finn is expected to sign to drive a C4 WRC in next year's World Rally Championship.

Raikkonen and his management team have made it quite clear that they want to be in the World Rally Championship next season and speculation suggests they will do that with backing from energy drinks giant Red Bull, already a title sponsor of the Citroen WRC team.

"Nothing is signed, I never had [Kimi] Raikkonen on the telephone," Quesnel told French newspaper L'Equipe.

"In any case, [if Raikkonen did sign for Citroen] it would not be in the official team, but in the Citroen Junior Team. There is a lot of noise about this."

Despite the lack of contact with Quesnel, he said he would be very pleased to see the Finn competing in the WRC.

"He was not a [Formula 1] world champion by chance," said Quesnel. "In Finland last year, he was quite astonishing at the wheel of a Super 2000 car.

"If he comes to WRC, it will be very good news for the rally in general. It would also be nice to thumb the nose to F1."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80364
The important thing to note here is Raikkonen's supposed personal Red Bull backing...
If he gets the up to date C4 like Petter Solberg had for the last few races of last season he may well win a Rally race. Really diggin the rally lately. Come on Kimi, go for it. :D
If he gets the up to date C4 like Petter Solberg had for the last few races of last season he may well win a Rally race. Really diggin the rally lately. Come on Kimi, go for it. :D

A race? Kimi will take the title from that smug french muppet.

See our F1 related articles too!