FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
By bizzle1200
Does the indy 500 have internationalappeal? I have lived in Indianapolis most of my life. Is it really the "Greastest Specatcle in Racing" around the world???
By texasmr2
It has a great history especially with some past F1 greats having entered yet I would rather watch F1 at Silverstone, Imola or the old Hockenheim track for a true nastalgic high.
By cap-dude
No. Maybe once upon a time it was an internationally appealing race. But here it's next to unknown. I've never had an interest in it myself. I don't really get it. I find something like LeMans 24 hours much more fascinating.
By Jamie
I think it's amazing! In the motor sport world it is the pinicle race of the season like Monaco is in F1 and the 24hr of Le mans is too.
By EwanM
Or Helio to make it 3.

*cough* 2 *cough* :wink:

HAHA shows you just how little I follow IRL.

What is all the hype about him getting his third something or other?

Man bring back Cart at least I followed that.
By EwanM
WAIIIT A minute I was right.

That was the Paul Tracy thing wasn't it?
By scotty
Does the indy 500 have internationalappeal? I have lived in Indianapolis most of my life. Is it really the "Greastest Specatcle in Racing" around the world???

I think it would have international appeal among motorsports enthusiasts, but it just doesn't get any coverage in most countries, unfortunately... As for the 'greatest spectacle', i think you'd find that the general consensus would be that the Monaco GP would hold that title.
By Rivelution
Or Helio to make it 3.

Nah he does have 2 wins but his second win was robbed from Paul Tracy in 2002. I have a love-hate relationship with PT. I hate him because he is a douche, but I love him because he was the most outspoken CART supporter post split. Just watch the youtube video, its blatantly obvious that he won the race but the IRL didnt like the fact that a CART guy was going to win.
By EwanM

I think it would have international appeal among motorsports enthusiasts, but it just doesn't get any coverage in most countries, unfortunately... As for the 'greatest spectacle', i think you'd find that the general consensus would be that the Monaco GP would hold that title.

Agreed, I have tried for years to follow Indy, unfortunately being away from Home the last few years I haven't been able to watch it due to it being on Sky Sports in the UK.
This year it'll be alot easier I think.

I'd agree with Scotty on this one, the Indy 500 is much like the Le Mans 24 hours or Baphurst.
They are followed my many motorsport fans, even if they don't follow that type of motorsport regularly.

For example I don't watch IRl but I watch Indy. I do follow the Le man Series and parts of ALMS, but the Le Man 24 hour race is the biggie for me.

However none compare to Monaco. Indy or not.
By EwanM
Or Helio to make it 3.

Nah he does have 2 wins but his second win was robbed from Paul Tracy in 2002. I have a love-hate relationship with PT. I hate him because he is a douche, but I love him because he was the most outspoken CART supporter post split. Just watch the youtube video, its blatantly obvious that he won the race but the IRL didnt like the fact that a CART guy was going to win.

I remember this - DODGY esp seeing it again on Youtube
By Gilles 27
Erm no, no-one I know really cares although as a bit of an Americanophile, I watch it. I won't get upset if i don't catch it though

See our F1 related articles too!