FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
It seems it's been a tough couple of weeks for the Aussies :(

Mark Porter crashed two days ago at the Bathurst track and sadly died today - the same track which also took the lives of Mike Burgmann ('86), Denny Hulme ('92) and Don Watson ('94).

The accident happened near Reid Park on the climb up the Mount Panorama circuit. On the 12th lap of the 14 lap race on Friday, Porter suddenly spun his Holden Commodore sideways, stalled and was left stranded in the middle of the track in an area blinded to oncoming traffic. Clark came around the corner, tried to avoid Porter by throwing his Ford Falcon sideways but unfortunately still hit Porters car at approx 180kph.
By Marco
That's an awful shame, just goes to show that motorsport isn't always as safe as we think it is.

My thoughts are with his family. :(
By Stephen
Saw the accident on the news, looked unavoidable and exceptionally violent. I'm also very sad, the only comfort is that he died doing something he enjoyed - at 31 he didn't deserve to go.

Let's hope Clark recovers...RIP Mark, I'm truely gutted. :(
By bud
yes very sad times, Porters actually Kiwi!
a friend of mine is a grid girl for his team, she is not coping well at all, along with the rest of the team as expected. I feel sorry for Marks wife and his children :(

See our F1 related articles too!