FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
Everyone has their own opinion, but I dont agree with JPM.

As Kimi Raikkonen failed to defend his French Grand Prix crown, 4,000 miles away another former McLaren driver was battling to record back-to-back circuit victories. Juan Pablo Montoya notched up seven wins in Formula One before quitting two years ago to drive supercharged stock cars in the American Nascar series.

Last night the Colombian hoped to repeat his only victory in the sport, in the Toyota/Save Mart 350, at the Infineon Raceway, in Sonoma, California, and he does not regret making the move. “Formula One drivers are convinced that they’re so much better than anyone else,” Montoya, who races alongside Dario Franchitti, the Scottish driver, for the Chip Ganassi team, said. “When I was in F1, every week I was on the podium. It was cool, but is it satisfying? It wasn’t, because it was the most boring races. The guy who started in front of you would drive away from you and the guy who was behind you would drop away from you, unless you f***ed up in qualifying and then you need to have a different pitstop strategy to beat them.”

The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing, to give it its proper title, is barely known outside the United States, but within the country, its popularity dwarfs that of Formula One. Seventeen of the nation’s top 20 best-attended sporting events are Nascar races, and it is the second most-watched sport on television.

Montoya’s exit from McLaren resulted in Lewis Hamilton taking his seat in the car. He is a fan of the British driver, whom he refers to as a “good kid” and a “nice guy”, but he is blunt in his assessment of the 23-year-old’s popularity in America. “Go ask anybody here who is Lewis Hamilton,” he said. “Lewis who?”

Whereas Formula One revels in the romantic notion of presenting the zenith of style and grace, Nascar delights in being bold, brash and loud. The supercharged road cars steam around predominantly oval tracks, with hundreds of overtaking manoeuvres per race. Fans park their motorhomes on the track infield, barbecuing and drinking as the drivers race around them. At the end, the race winner does not spray Moët et Chandon, but Budweiser.

Although Nascar is very much an American sport, there are attempts to raise its appeal outside the United States, to tap into the disaffection many feel with Formula One, whether through the Max Mosley saga or the the lack of competitive racing.

“It’s boring,” Montoya said. “It’s a shame because the technology these cars have and the amount of companies that are involved is unreal. I don’t know how big companies do it for such a long time without results.”

In Nascar, there are more than 40 cars racing wheel to wheel for up to three hours. “It’s harder here,” Montoya said. “When you run fifteenth, sometimes you think it sucks. But look at the big picture: fifteenth here is like sixth or seventh in F1, because there are twice as many cars. The incredible thing is here I run fifteenth or twentieth on average and there are four or five weeks in the year where I have a chance of winning. In F1 if you run sixth or seventh, you run sixth or seventh the whole year.

“It doesn’t matter if you’re running for the lead, or for 30th, you’re always racing somebody. That’s much better.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/formula_1/article4193083.ece
i would agree with him but oval racing isnt really passing its just a stretched out drag race

Yeah they over-exaggerate how much overtaking there is. I agree with him though that F1 is too glitzy and glamory.
Sour grapes from a dimwit :rolleyes:

A michellin man dimwit.

Just a bit chubby...

Na with him saying that he's went up to Michellin man...
By AKR
I am going to be blunt about this............ NASCAR is s***. Period. :thumbdown:
bah, 40 overtaking moves, I think that makes it worse. It takes away how special and well crafted overtaking is.
In nascar the drivers have to get a slipstream and simply drive past, and in F1, drivers pressure the opponent and push the limits of braking and grip, pulling of spectacularly skilled maneuvers.

Seriously, whats better, that dice between Kubica and Massa on the final lap in Fuji, or a slipstream.

Besides, F1 was and has been uninteresting, but look at this year. You only need to look back and watch the race highlights on ITV F1 site or the offical F1 site, to see that this years theres yet to have been a race thats really boring.
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/23062008/58/montoya-slams-boring-f1.html

I dont understand how he can say this one little bit.
Compared to Nascar??????
Driving around in a circle for a few hours, where is the excitement in that.

The excitement is in the overtaking and Nascar has that in abundance. But the constant driving in a circle is not exactly a test of driver skill whereas in F1 the different tracks all test actual driving ability. This sounds like sour grapes from JPM because he was dropped by Mclaren

See our F1 related articles too!