FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
By Rivelution
I went to the Grand Am race at Laguna Seca earlier today, and to be honest I thought it was going to be gay because I'm an ALMS (American Le Mans Series) supporter but to my surprise, it was actually a very entertaining and exciting race. If any of you Europeans, Aussies, or anyone else that has the SPEED channel, I think you should watch it (its tape delayed because a stupid nascar race was on at the same time today). I sat by turn 5 all day and there was A LOT of passing and sometimes there were cars going 3-wide!! The arrow here is pointing at where I sat, and always sit.

I remember one time during the race in a span of 30 seconds there were 3 incidents all right in front of me. And the there was like a 38-40 car field I think. The Mazda Rx8 in the GT class is one of the best race cars I've ever heard. Here is a youtube video at Lime Rock to give you an idea. Just wait and listen to all the cars go by, and the very last car to go by is the Rx8 and my god it sounds awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNNFt3qBk2A

I'm not sure if any of you heard of the Grand Am series, but I'll try my best to explain to those who dont.

The Grand Am series is basically an American version of Le Mans (Grand Am stands for Grand American). The Grand Am has 2 classes (Prototypes and GT) unlike Le Mans which has 4 classes (LMP1, LMP2, GT1, GT2). The thing about the prototypes in Grand Am, is that the prototypes all have the same body except for the engine which there are 4 manufacturers Pontiac, Lexus, Ford, and Porsche (Porsche engine sounds the best out of the 4). To be honest, the prototypes are really ugly, but I dont car because they made a damn good race. And the GT class is simple as always. The Gt cars from what I remember were the Mazda Rx8's, Porsche 911's, Pontiac Gt8's, Chevy Corvette's, and one Ferrari F430.

Here is a picture of Daytona Prototypes. They have my vote for ugliest race car.

All in all this was a really good race, and it changed my mind about this series because I used to hate it.
By texasmr2
Anyone gonna watch the 2010 Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series 24 Hours of Daytona, it starts at 2pm central US time. I'll be tuning in after after watching the '09 Barcelona DTM and Silverstone BTCC races air and in between summarizing 38 chapters of the Texas Penal Code :(:hehe: .

tex
By texasmr2
I watched the start and since it was under the safety car I'm on the 'puter but hopefully the rain has stopped by now.
By IceManpjn
Wow, this thread's going strong after nearly two years! (Original post was in May of 2008 and then the second post didn't come until 2010. Better late than never?)

I watch the Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car series almost as faithfully as I do F1. Good stuff and thinking about swinging by Mid-Ohio when they come through June 19. My wife doesn't care for racing, though, and doesn't have any interest in joining me, and I'd hate to go alone.
By texasmr2
Mid-Ohio would be a great race to attend and remember a racing fan is never alone at a race :wink: .
By What's Burning?
I decided to open up a Gran Am thread this way any stateside fans can have one discussion going. We've got a long wait until the Rolex 24 in Daytona in January24th but the series is looking good and it looks like Nascar (the owning body) is looking to grow road racing with the recent DTM us expansion.

In any case, Lamborghini is on the grid next year. TORO CORSE to Join Rolex Series with Two Lamborghini Gallardos
By texasmr2
I really like this series and look forward to next season. :)
By texasmr2
Cannot wait :clap: !! A few people I correspond with on another forum will be racing there so thank's for the reminder so I can wish them luck :) .
By What's Burning?
Cannot wait :clap: !! A few people I correspond with on another forum will be racing there so thank's for the reminder so I can wish them luck :) .

Tex you two timer you! On another forum?!?! :yikes:
By darwin dali

Tex you two timer you! On another forum?!?! :yikes:

Yeah, he's SUCH a forum slut! :handbag:
By texasmr2
But but but it's a Ferrari form :P !!!

See our F1 related articles too!