FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
The adversity I feel will and can only make you stronger and more driven Sam and it's so good to hear that you are persisting through tough times, that says alot :wink: .

Best mate,
Gregg
It's a reincarnation, I don't know if she's called Chloe or ChloeV2 :P

How about Louise? ;):P
Well, she's back!

I'll be racing next weekend at Larkhall, the shakedown before the first round of the Scottish Championships three weeks later.

I'm more fired up than I've ever been, and I'm really looking forward to getting out on the track and just racing - this off season nonesense is boring!
Well, she's back!

I'll be racing next weekend at Larkhall, the shakedown before the first round of the Scottish Championships three weeks later.

I'm more fired up than I've ever been, and I'm really looking forward to getting out on the track and just racing - this off season nonesense is boring!

Now that is the true spirit of a racer :thumbup::wink: .

tex
I had a pretty good test day at Larkhall today, with raceday tomorrow. I couldn't believe how rusty I was, I've only been out twice this year before today, and tomorrow will be my first race since December.

Had a pretty poor morning, about 1 second off the fastest (Paul Di Resta), but later on we bolted on a new set of rubber and went within 0.2 seconds of him in that session. I was pretty pleased with that.. at the end of the day my mate was fastest, followed by Paul then me. It was great to see my little old kart keep up, but its clear that while I should be quick enough to win club races in Scotland, it's nowhere near competitive enough to compete with the likes of Paul and the fast guys.

I probably could have gone faster, but I only had the one session on the good rubber, and it was a massive difference to the other tyres so it took a while to get it all dialled into the track, but I think we should have a strong race package tomorrow.

The front 2 aren't racing tomorrow, as Paul never races and the other guy, John, is off to race in Wales tomorrow for his club championship. This puts me in a good position, and I'm looking forward to see what I can do tomorrow.
I had a pretty good test day at Larkhall today, with raceday tomorrow. I couldn't believe how rusty I was, I've only been out twice this year before today, and tomorrow will be my first race since December.

Had a pretty poor morning, about 1 second off the fastest (Paul Di Resta), but later on we bolted on a new set of rubber and went within 0.2 seconds of him in that session. I was pretty pleased with that.. at the end of the day my mate was fastest, followed by Paul then me. It was great to see my little old kart keep up, but its clear that while I should be quick enough to win club races in Scotland, it's nowhere near competitive enough to compete with the likes of Paul and the fast guys.

I probably could have gone faster, but I only had the one session on the good rubber, and it was a massive difference to the other tyres so it took a while to get it all dialled into the track, but I think we should have a strong race package tomorrow.

The front 2 aren't racing tomorrow, as Paul never races and the other guy, John, is off to race in Wales tomorrow for his club championship. This puts me in a good position, and I'm looking forward to see what I can do tomorrow.

Good luck Sam, I bet you were pleased when you got within 2 tenths of Di Resta. :)
Also a brief review on today:

Heat 1: Started P5, got up to 3rd from the start and stayed that way for the whole race.. second to fourth were very close - fastest laps were covered by hundreths (and we were all the guys who have just moved to senior) while the leader was a few tenths faster, as he had more experience.

Heat 2: Started P3, got good start into 2nd and then I was back into fourth at one stage, but fought back into the lead, but was deposed on the last lap to second.

Heat 3: Started P2, Got a great start and led after 2 laps, and took the win by 5 seconds. My only problem was the 2nd and 3rd guys had a coming together, meaning that my main challenger moved from fourth to second, giving him pole for the final by a single point.

Final: Started P2, Got a poorish start on the outside and fell back to third, but was on the bumper for about 2 laps. Then 2nd place man caught up with the leader, and as they jostled for a lap I caught right up, and as I was lining him up for the straight, my battery flew off my kart, and my engine died. I DNF'd, but I was joint 3rd fastest (me and the winner set Identical times), while the fastest lap was only 2 tenths faster than ours, and it was set by the most experienced drivers.

I still think that at this stage I'm getting the kart into positions it shouldn't be getting to, I dont think that kart was worthy of a top 3, and I would have been a mile back against some really quick drivers, you just need to look at yesterday to see that I'm still quite a bit off, and I think it's down to the kart :(

Anyway, the next race is at Banff in 3 weeks time, for the First Round of the Scottish Championships!
well done matey. some good results. Karting is all about you getting yourself into silly positions, it is better to do it now than sat in an F1 car!
Shame about the battery coming off in your final race, but it would be great if you are this competitive this year in your 6 year old kart which has had to have repairs, it would make some good PR material. :)
Well, the 2004 kart is no more.

I'll be collecting m 2010 kart on thursday, then travelling up to race in the first round of the Scottish Championships on Friday night. Going there without any testing could be a little risky, but I still think it'll be quicker than the 2004 kart!

Bit of a summary of my last few outings:

I was out last friday since my mate hired the Larkhall track for the whole day and wanted me to test a new kart to see what I thought of it, while he tested his own with his team-mate. I was running with a different mechanic, and we got on well, and I really enjoyed the new kart (different chassis to the Gillard that I'm normally on) great brakes, but the kart costs 3K so we're staying clear of it, but I think with more track time I could have gone very fast on it.

Then a day later we were out at Larkhall again testing the 2004 kart and running in an engine.. Went well in the morning on the old tyres and was quick, but then at the end of the day I finall got my hands on the 2010 Gillard kart. I was running light, and the steering wheel was way to high up for me, and I could barely reach the pedals.. but I was quick on it, and I only got 2 flying laps.. Can't wait to finally race it this weekend!

See our F1 related articles too!