Spectator Fatality at VLN...

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
Stephen
Site Admin
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Team: McLaren

Spectator Fatality at VLN...

Post by Stephen »

Sad news here:
http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/nissan-gt ... 1694239772

Made worse by the idiocy of Taki Inoue:
tweet.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sagi58
Favourite Driver: He Who Drives for Ferrari!!
Favourite Team: Scuderia Ferrari

Re: Spectator Fatality at VLN...

Post by sagi58 »

That's terrible!!

But, why add insult to injury? I'm sure it wasn't intentional!!
Stephen wrote:Made worse by the idiocy of Taki Inoue:
ImageAfter the agony of defeat, success will be sweet!
andrew
I disagree

Post by andrew »

A bit tactless by a former F1 driver who it seems spent more time being run over by course cars than racing!
stonemonkey
Missing Mod
Favourite Driver: Bernie
Favourite Team: Connaught

Post by stonemonkey »

sagi58 wrote:That's terrible!!

But, why add insult to injury? I'm sure it wasn't intentional!!
Stephen wrote:Made worse by the idiocy of Taki Inoue:

I think it was intentional, Mardenborough was the winner of GT academy a couple of years ago, like fame academy for racing drivers where the initial rounds are contested on the playstation, before that he hadn't raced professionally.
Until its been investigated and the cause found there's no cause to make comments like that though.
To use my phone in the car I deleted all my German contacts, it's now Hans free.
sagi58

Post by sagi58 »

stonemonkey wrote:I think it was intentional, Mardenborough was the winner of GT academy a couple of years ago, like fame academy for racing drivers where the initial rounds are contested on the playstation, before that he hadn't raced professionally.
Until its been investigated and the cause found there's no cause to make comments like that though.

But, he would need a license to be able to race professionally and there must be criteria met before he could get that license... right?
stonemonkey
Missing Mod
Favourite Driver: Bernie
Favourite Team: Connaught

Post by stonemonkey »

sagi58 wrote:
stonemonkey wrote:I think it was intentional, Mardenborough was the winner of GT academy a couple of years ago, like fame academy for racing drivers where the initial rounds are contested on the playstation, before that he hadn't raced professionally.

But, he would need a license to be able to race professionally and there must be criteria met before he could get that license... right?

Yes, but I'm saying Taki's comment is intentional as he obviously has issues with drivers coming into the sport that way.

It's pointed out in the article though that some of the spectators seats appear to be on the wrong side of the barrier. A car shouldnt be able to clear the fence but the spectators might not have been supposed to have been where they were either but we'll only know after an investigation.
To use my phone in the car I deleted all my German contacts, it's now Hans free.
sagi58

Post by sagi58 »

stonemonkey wrote:Yes, but I'm saying Taki's comment is intentional as he obviously has issues with drivers coming into the sport that way.

It's pointed out in the article though that some of the spectators seats appear to be on the wrong side of the barrier. A car shouldnt be able to clear the fence but the spectators might not have been supposed to have been where they were either but we'll only know after an investigation.

So, he's basically adding insult to injury!! Wow... some people just love to kick others when they're down!!

As for who was in the right or wrong place, it's academic because, in the end, someone died. Obviously, the
track will want that information; but, that's only for liability purposes.
Stephen
Site Admin
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Team: McLaren

Post by Stephen »

It is now my understanding that the spectators killed or injured were allowed to be sitting between the two fences (which doesn't make much sense to me) on the outside of Flugplatz which is a 140mph+ corner in some cars. The German authorities have rather naively banned the following classes from taking part in events until an investigation has been completed:

SP7, SP8, SP8T, SP9, SP10, SP-Pro and SP-X

This will mean the N24 will lose one third of the grid...
http://www.dmsb.de/active/detail-view/? ... 840b3f768c