FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
http://www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sports/robert-kubica-wins-the-wrc2-class-of-the-acropolis-rally-two-years-on-from-serious-crash/story-e6frf3z3-1226656276661#.Uaww1BY3OVo

Former Formula 1 star Robert Kubica has taken his first big win since the 2011 crash which nearly killed him, winning the WRC2 class at the Acropolis Rally.
The Polish driver and co-driver Maciek Baran produced a flawless performance on the Greek rally's testing stages, bringing their Citroen DS3 RRC home with a winning margin of 1m29.8s after the three-day event.
"Yes, it’s a great day for me," Kubica admitted.
"For sure, it has been a very, very difficult weekend. I think Acropolis is an extremely tough rally, especially for someone like me who has twenty years’ experience of racing on a circuit!"
Kubica was a leading driver in Formula 1 until a serious rally crash ahead of the 2011 season, where his car crashed into the end of an armco barrier.
He was left with his right hand partially severed, as well as a fractured elbow, shoulder and leg.
The crash has effectively ended his F1 dreams, Kubica now chasing a second career in rallying.
"Robert had already shown, on gravel and on tarmac, that he has genuine pace," Citroen team boss Yves Matton said, "but he still needed to learn about discipline.
"I have the feeling that this may something of a turning point for him. It certainly augurs well in terms of our shared objective, which is to win the WRC2 title."
Kubica now lies sixth overall in the WRC2 championship standings, with 33 points from just two rallies.
I'm surprised that he is able to compete so successfully in WRC, that is a very challenging physical sport, maybe more so than F1 in some aspects, but it's good to see his driving career isn't over!
Wasnt his return to f1 stopped because he could not move his arm/hand in a way that you have to do in an F1. In WRC you have more room to move around so might be able to work around it

Sent from Turing Colossus using Tapatalk 2
"The problem in F1 is the space. Maybe one day if the FIA say the car has to be 10-15 cm wider, I can drive - but it is not that rally is second choice."

Restricted movement in his arm makes him unable to come back for now.

See our F1 related articles too!