FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
By mnmracer
There are certain moments when you are proud to be Dutch (and some not so proud ones), even in Formula 1, where we've had very few successes. For years, Dutch race fans have been eagerly awaiting young karting talents like Max Verstappen (son of) and Nyck de Vries (McLaren development program) to start their car race careers, and kind of out of nowhere, we suddenly see Robin Frijns making a name for himself.

Only 21 years old, Robin Frijns is one of the few drivers in history to start his career with back-to-back-to-back championships, winning the European Formula BMW championship in 2010, Eurocup Formula Renault 2.0 in 2011, and in a controversial clash with Jules Bianchi, the Formula Renault 3.5 Series in 2012. He was then given a chance to test for both Red Bull and Sauber in Abu Dhabi, the latter team signing him on as test driver for this year.

Being without a racing seat for 2013, missing out on a GP2 seat for the start of the season, some were fearful that it might indicate a halt to this stellar start of a career; Frijns is entirely without sponsorship. However, in Bahrain, Hilmer Motorsport gave Frijns a chance to show his worth in GP2. Although he showed promising speed, his inexperience with the Pirelli tires meant the results were not that amazing. But then came Spain, and he got another chance, and he took it with both hands, and has now shown, without a doubt, that he is one of the biggest talents aiming for Formula One: a victory in the feature race, and 2nd on just 0.7 seconds in the sprint race.

If you hadn't heard it before, you heard it here first: Robin Frijns will be the next big talent in Formula One!
By 1Lemon
If this guys as good as you think he is, I look forward to seeing Robin V Bottas.
By mnmracer
If this guys as good as you think he is, I look forward to seeing Robin V Bottas.

They may be the next generation of top drivers, with possibly Bianchi and maybe Da Costa (a little up and down).
I'm definitely impressed with Valtteri as well; Maldonado isn't fantastic, but he's no slouch either, yet I feel Bottas is the better driver already.

It's just, that kind of year-on-year performances in the lower classes, it can not be ignored. There's been one-hitters that maybe won a championship here or there (as too many F3000 champions back when), but it's rare to see drivers perform that well in a multitude of classes.
By Denthúl
Still think he should have been penalised for the move on Bianchi, but at least he's no Cecotto...

Should be interesting to see how he progresses this year. His performances at the weekend were awesome. :)
By LewEngBridewell
Haven't really been following the junior formulae in recent years. Please keep threads like these updated! :thumbup:
By Hammer278
Robin. :cloud9:

See our F1 related articles too!