FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
By zurich_allan
Anyone else been wathching this season so far? Not impressed at all with ESPN's coverage in the UK, much worse than Sky had been doing for the past few years, but that's another matter.

Takuma Sato has been a revalation for A.J. Foyt so far! In case any of you are not following - he's every bit still as exciting and gung-ho as he was in F1! Both Dario and Will Power have been unlucky through no fault of their own so far, as has Ryan Hunter-Reay, but all will undoubtedtly come on strong as the year progresses, which makes for an exciting title race! :)
By What's Burning?
I snigger every time I see the cars... they just look ridiculous.
By zurich_allan

I thought that last year, but I think I'm used to them now and don't even notice. Better that than another horrible day like at the end of 2011 with Dan Wheldon. :(
By LewEngBridewell
Better that than another horrible day like at the end of 2011 with Dan Wheldon. :(

:yes:
By What's Burning?

I thought that last year, but I think I'm used to them now and don't even notice. Better that than another horrible day like at the end of 2011 with Dan Wheldon. :(

I don't follow it at much, but wasn't Dan Wheldon's death a fault of the fencing more so than a fault of the car's design? I remember seeing designs for the car as far back as early 2011 if not late 2010 so there was no association with his death and the new chassis. Is there a laundry list of safety features the new chassis introduced?
By zurich_allan

I don't follow it at much, but wasn't Dan Wheldon's death a fault of the fencing more so than a fault of the car's design? I remember seeing designs for the car as far back as early 2011 if not late 2010 so there was no association with his death and the new chassis. Is there a laundry list of safety features the new chassis introduced?

Well the main part of the new cars that has been criticised in terms of the look are the semi-enclosed rear wheels. They are designed that way to stop front wheel to rear wheel contact causing a car to be launched in to the air, which is what caused Wheldon's car to be out of control, in the air and flying nearly 100m into the fencing.

That said, I've already seen one car still ride up and over another in the past year even with them, though undoubtedly the risk is now significantly reduced.
By racechick
I used to love watching when it was CART. It's how I first got hooked on JPM before he came to F1. I really like it. Then they had that split and I've never got back into it. Maybe be also to do with it not being shown on TV as it used to be.
By darwin dali

Well the main part of the new cars that has been criticised in terms of the look are the semi-enclosed rear wheels. They are designed that way to stop front wheel to rear wheel contact causing a car to be launched in to the air, which is what caused Wheldon's car to be out of control, in the air and flying nearly 100m into the fencing.

That said, I've already seen one car still ride up and over another in the past year even with them, though undoubtedly the risk is now significantly reduced.

Open-wheelers shouldn't be racing on ovals, period.
By 1Lemon
^ This.
By zurich_allan

Open-wheelers shouldn't be racing on ovals, period.

I agree, but adopting a realist perspective - since they're not going to be disappearing from the Indy schedule any time soon, I'll support what little can be done to make the racing that little bit safer for all concerned.
By madbrad
Anyone notice Paul Tracy didn't start winning things until all the good drivers switched out of the series?

I used to watch CART when Al Jr and Penske were dominating, Before they started showing F1 regularly here. After the split both sides seemed like feeder series to me, and I lost interest.
By optimusmike777
love indycar but I haven't seen it at all since it switched from sky to espn

I used to laugh at americans for liking it and wonder why people watch cars literally go round in circles but I was bored one night and watched it and was hocked from then on. it is honestly one of the most exciting racing series out there
By racechick

I used to laugh at americans for liking it and wonder why people watch cars literally go round in circles but I was bored one night and watched it and was hocked from then on. it is honestly one of the most exciting racing series out there

Indycar go on normal racetracks as well as ovals don't they?
By What's Burning?

So does NASCAR, but Americans like ovals because the high speed produces more dramatic crashes.
By spankyham

So does NASCAR, but Americans like ovals because the high speed produces more dramatic crashes.

I always thought the attraction to ovals was that most spectators could see most of the lap and action.

Indycar is openwheel racing after caps and restrictions have had time to work their magic.

See our F1 related articles too!