Young Drivers - Talents

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
User avatar
Stealthgate007
Posts: 1235
Joined: 03 Feb 08, 18:02
Favourite Driver: Hamilton
Favourite Team: McLaren
Location: Dallas Tx

Re: Future Drivers - long term post

Post by Stealthgate007 »

cap-dude wrote:Jules Bianchi of course. The guys dominating F3 euroseries at the moment. He's so far won 5 out of 7 the main races. Plus his manager is Nicholas Todt. No doubt he'll be driving for ART in GP2 next year, and be knocking on F1 doors in 2011.

Esteban Gutiérrez as well since the guys still only 18. But then again, you can be thrown into things too prematurely at times. I wonder will he still be backed by BMW now as well. Therefore, one to watch.

I'm also interested to watch Sergio Perez, another Mexican. Flung straight from British F3 to Gp2 at the age of 19. He's been under the radar for most of this year, but has shown some promise over the last few weeks interestingly. So I'll be watching him next year in GP2.



cap-dude called this one over a year ago.. Sergio Perez, driving for Sauber next season
Image
User avatar
Jabberwocky
Mod
Posts: 16412
Joined: 31 Jul 07, 19:51
Favourite Driver: 5 Iron
Favourite Team: Williams
Location: Oxford

Re: Future Drivers - long term post

Post by Jabberwocky »

Alice Powell
Image
A racing car that does not win, is just art
Juliet P
Posts: 1141
Joined: 09 Sep 08, 12:38
Location: London

Re: Future Drivers - long term post

Post by Juliet P »

Why not just merge that thread into here, oh all-powerful moderator??
I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions... (Augusten Burroughs)
User avatar
Jabberwocky
Mod
Posts: 16412
Joined: 31 Jul 07, 19:51
Favourite Driver: 5 Iron
Favourite Team: Williams
Location: Oxford

Re: Future Drivers - long term post

Post by Jabberwocky »

good plan :D
Image
A racing car that does not win, is just art
vaptin
Posts: 6397
Joined: 25 Jul 09, 13:42

Re: Future Drivers - long term post

Post by vaptin »

Stealthgate007 wrote:
cap-dude wrote:Jules Bianchi of course. The guys dominating F3 euroseries at the moment. He's so far won 5 out of 7 the main races. Plus his manager is Nicholas Todt. No doubt he'll be driving for ART in GP2 next year, and be knocking on F1 doors in 2011.

Esteban Gutiérrez as well since the guys still only 18. But then again, you can be thrown into things too prematurely at times. I wonder will he still be backed by BMW now as well. Therefore, one to watch.

I'm also interested to watch Sergio Perez, another Mexican. Flung straight from British F3 to Gp2 at the age of 19. He's been under the radar for most of this year, but has shown some promise over the last few weeks interestingly. So I'll be watching him next year in GP2.



cap-dude called this one over a year ago.. Sergio Perez, driving for Sauber next season


Indeed, I also found this: http://www.ferrari.com/English/Formula1 ... Perez.aspx, Perez is in the young driver acdemy for Ferrari. Before or after he got his deal with Sauber, hmm?

Also, wonder if Ferrari should've got Bianchi the seat instead. Although maybe another year in gp2 would be better for him, is it unfair to say he's looking the best driver whose never been in f1 without a seat?
User avatar
Jabberwocky
Mod
Posts: 16412
Joined: 31 Jul 07, 19:51
Favourite Driver: 5 Iron
Favourite Team: Williams
Location: Oxford

Re: Future Drivers - long term post

Post by Jabberwocky »

Could Perez have anything to do with the Sauber engines?
Image
A racing car that does not win, is just art
vaptin
Posts: 6397
Joined: 25 Jul 09, 13:42

Re: Future Drivers - long term post

Post by vaptin »

Jabberwocky wrote:Could Perez have anything to do with the Sauber engines?

Thus the young Mexican will have his debut in a Ferrari-engine powered single-seater.

http://www.ferrari.com/English/Formula1 ... Perez.aspx,
Reading between the lines, it looks like it,
Though I also think he brings a lot of sponsorship with him (unrelated to Ferrari).
User avatar
cap-dude
Posts: 2051
Joined: 25 Aug 07, 17:24
Location: Northern Ireland

Re: Future Drivers - long term post

Post by cap-dude »

Sauber are a bit of a Ferrari b-team.

Back before the BMW days, when they were using Ferrari engines. They had Felipe Massa onboard. But really it's just to be expected. Force India are taking Di Resta, a Mercedes backed driver. Williams took on Nakajima, a toyota backed driver.

Question is of course, would that mean if Perez is quick enough he could end up in a Ferrari. (personally I'd rather see Kobayashi :hehe: )



Here's an interesting one though. Where could Esteban Gutierrez end up in 2012.
GP3 champion, extremely quick, good chance he could be GP2 champion. Moves to Lotus ART GP2 team for 2011. Now thats Group Lotus, the ones who are apparently taking over Renault. He's also the Sauber test driver, and has heavy sponsorship from Telmex. Telmex are heavily connected to Sauber at the moment. ART also bring connections to Ferrari, as do Sauber.

Honestly, I can't remember seeing an upcoming driver with more connections. :hehe:
Image
vaptin
Posts: 6397
Joined: 25 Jul 09, 13:42

Re: Future Drivers - long term post

Post by vaptin »

Thanks for the heads up there on him, hadn't heard of him before.

Bianchi is progressing quite nicely, best rookie in gp2 this season (3rd overall), and now Ferrari test driver. Got exclusive use of the f-10 for the young driver tests. But I think his goal for a respectable f1 career hinges now on winning GP2 in 2011.

Can't predict the future obviously, so it could pan out completely differently, but thats how I read it, its time for him to make another step up the rung,
User avatar
Sam-KK24
Posts: 488
Joined: 27 Jan 08, 21:21
Location: Alloa, Scotland

Re: Future Drivers - long term post

Post by Sam-KK24 »

Lewis Williamson - Runner up in FRenault this season and winner of Mclaren Autosport Award.

I've watched him race in karts since 2003 and he was always so fast, and a demon overtaker, and it appears to be the same in cars.

Looks like he's in GP3 next season, so I'd look out for him!
The Oz
Posts: 423
Joined: 12 Apr 09, 21:30
Location: Australia

Re: Future Drivers - long term post

Post by The Oz »

The Oz wrote:Add another bloke to the list, Mitch Evans.


The kid has only just turned 15. When he was 13 he won The Manfield Winter Series 2008 (NZ Winter Formula Ford)

He came 2nd in the National NZ Formula Ford across 2008/2009 when he was just 14.

Then came 2nd in the 2009 Australian Formula Ford Series aged 14 too.

Then at the end of this year he started competing in the Australia F3 championship (he only did the last round) but he won the final race. The kid is gunna do some big things I can tell you that. This NZ kid will put NZ Motorsport on the map



That was posted in Late December 2009.

*He won his first Toyota Racing Series (NZ's highest Open Wheeler Series) in 2010 and became the youngest person to do so. It was his rookie season at TRS
*He came 2nd by a single point in the Australian F3 series last year..but he did miss 3 races and the guy who beat (Ben Barker) raced in every race
*He easily dominated the Toyota Racing Series in 2011 and his title defence was never in doubt. Easily won it. He also won the NZ Grand Prix becoming the first person to do so.
*Was in the top few for every GP3 pre season test.

Now he will start 9th (bit stiff not be a little higher, was P5 and P3 in Practise 1/2) in his debut GP3 race for MW Arden. And he is still just 16!
The Oz
Posts: 423
Joined: 12 Apr 09, 21:30
Location: Australia

Re: Future Drivers - long term post

Post by The Oz »

The Oz wrote:
The Oz wrote:Add another bloke to the list, Mitch Evans.


The kid has only just turned 15. When he was 13 he won The Manfield Winter Series 2008 (NZ Winter Formula Ford)

He came 2nd in the National NZ Formula Ford across 2008/2009 when he was just 14.

Then came 2nd in the 2009 Australian Formula Ford Series aged 14 too.

Then at the end of this year he started competing in the Australia F3 championship (he only did the last round) but he won the final race. The kid is gunna do some big things I can tell you that. This NZ kid will put NZ Motorsport on the map



That was posted in Late December 2009.

*He won his first Toyota Racing Series (NZ's highest Open Wheeler Series) in 2010 and became the youngest person to do so. It was his rookie season at TRS
*He came 2nd by a single point in the Australian F3 series last year..but he did miss 3 races and the guy who beat (Ben Barker) raced in every race
*He easily dominated the Toyota Racing Series in 2011 and his title defence was never in doubt. Easily won it. He also won the NZ Grand Prix becoming the first person to do so.
*Was in the top few for every GP3 pre season test.

Now he will start 9th (bit stiff not be a little higher, was P5 and P3 in Practise 1/2) in his debut GP3 race for MW Arden. And he is still just 16!


Came 6th and 7th in the first 2 races of the year and now on POLE for Barca...I tell ya he is a Future F1 Champion people!

And he wins the Feature Race.....GUN
User avatar
vlad
Posts: 4284
Joined: 08 Feb 11, 14:07
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Location: Banja Luka, RS (BA)

Young Drivers - Talents

Post by vlad »

So, I haven't found a topic that strictly sticks to area of young, upcoming drivers. So, any driver you find that's worth watching, you can post it here.
On that note, I've seen one of them myself. His name is Luciano Bacheta. He is currently racing in the FIA Formula 2 Championship. After only driving in 2 races in his second year (only drove 4 races last year), this youngster has proven to be a great driver already, winning the first 2 rounds on Silverstone in a great manner. He is born to Indian parents and with Italian ancestry. Could we see him in F1? :yes:

Image
"I can only say that Red Bull gives you wings. It’s as simple as that."

Image
User avatar
vlad
Posts: 4284
Joined: 08 Feb 11, 14:07
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Location: Banja Luka, RS (BA)

Re: Young Drivers - Talents

Post by vlad »

Not a great Highlight, but you can see his move from 1:45, that was in 2nd race, in first he was even better.

[youtube]YuRjwExxn8A[/youtube]
"I can only say that Red Bull gives you wings. It’s as simple as that."

Image
User avatar
bud
Shrub
Posts: 17633
Joined: 10 Jan 06, 03:02
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna, Lewis Hamilton
Favourite Team: McLaren
Location: Adelaide, Australia, ɹǝpun uʍop

Re: Young Drivers - Talents

Post by bud »

So he looks Indian his name sounds Italian and his accents English from his place of birth! What a mix :hehe: