FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
By Frontrunner
Riders line-up so far for 2012

Factory/Satellite teams...

Repsol Honda Team: RC213V
Casey Stoner AUS #1
Dani Pedrosa ESP #26

Yamaha Factory Racing: YZR-M1
Jorge Lorenzo ESP #99
Ben Spies USA #11

Ducati Team Marlboro: GP12
Valentino Rossi ITA #46
Nicky Hayden USA #69

San Carlo Gresini: RC213V
Alvaro Bautista ESP #19

Monster Tech 3 Yamaha: YZR-M1
Andrea Dovizioso ESP #4
Cal Crutchlow GBR #35

Pramac Racing: GP12
Hector Barbera ESP #8

Cardion AB Motoracing: GP12
Karel Abraham CZE #17

LCR Honda: RC213V
Stefan Bradl GER #6

Claiming Rule teams...

San Carlo Gresini: FTR-Honda
Michele Pirro ITA #51

Forward Racing: Suter-BMW
Colin Edwards USA #5

IODA Racing Project: IODA-???
Danilo Petrucci ITA #9

Speed Master: ART-???
Anthony West AUS #13

Aspar Team MotoGP: ART-???
Randy de Puniet FRA #14
Aleix Espargaro ESP #20

BQR Blusens: ???-???
Ivan Silva ESP #22
Yonny Hernandez COL #68

Paul Bird Racing: ART-???
James Ellison GBR #77

All the factory and Satellite rides are settled but I will have to update a few things when the CRT bikes sort out there chassis and engine supplier and if there are anymore new teams
By rob91
I hope the racing is better than in previous years, the 800cc years were mostly boring races, 1000cc should be more exciting.
By racechick
When does it start?
By scotty
I'm a little worried that the 3 seperate tiers of bikes will make the racing a bit poorer this season...
By racechick
When does it start?

8th of April at Qatar, so its a while yet. dammit

Yep quite a while then. Twill rekindle all the Marco thoughts when it starts :( Im kindof looking forward to it but with this little knot of sadness inside.
Scotty, how does the 3 tiers of bike work then? Ive not been paying close attention to the technicalities, just knew that the engines were getting bigger.
By scotty
Scotty, how does the 3 tiers of bike work then? Ive not been paying close attention to the technicalities, just knew that the engines were getting bigger.

They're not proper divisions as such but i think there'll be 3 definite groups:
Tier 1 - Works teams (Honda, Yamaha, Ducati)
Tier 2 - Satellite teams (ie teams running customer works bikes). Obviously they won't have the latest tech that the works teams have.
Tier 3 - All the CRT bikes. I think, and i might be wrong here, that these bikes are MotoGP chassis with more production based engines.

There may be some overlap with the works and satellite bikes but the CRT guys are going to be miles off the pace. Probably at least 5 seconds a lap. What's the point of that?
By racechick

They're not proper divisions as such but i think there'll be 3 definite groups:
Tier 1 - Works teams (Honda, Yamaha, Ducati)
Tier 2 - Satellite teams (ie teams running customer works bikes). Obviously they won't have the latest tech that the works teams have.
Tier 3 - All the CRT bikes. I think, and i might be wrong here, that these bikes are MotoGP chassis with more production based engines.

There may be some overlap with the works and satellite bikes but the CRT guys are going to be miles off the pace. Probably at least 5 seconds a lap. What's the point of that?

Ah. I see what you mean. Different tiers by outcome rather than different specs. Yes it does seem a big gap 5 ses. Hast there alwys been that three way division though? Do you think it will be worse because of the new engine regs?
By scotty
The CRT bikes are new for this year (cause they wanted to increase field sizes). I'd say there has always been a bit of a gap, generally speaking, between the manufacturer bikes and the satellite bikes but sometimes you get an overlap as i said (ie Simoncelli last season was competitive on the satellite Honda), but these CRT bikes are a HUGE gap...

I dunno about the rules. The bikes will be quicker on the straights, so longer braking zones, in theory more chance to make an overtaking move. I guess if someone makes a much better engine from the off it'll be one sided until the others catch up, but we'll have to wait and see. In general though the new 1000cc engines are a very popular move :) i am looking forward to seeing lap records broken again...
By racechick
Yeah Im looking forward to seeing these bikes and who they suit/who they dont/ which teams get them working best. What does CRT stand for?
By scotty
Claiming Rule Teams. Probably worth looking around google for a good explaination of what the hell the exact rules for these teams are, cause it seems there's some weird technology sharing thing going on, but nothing i've found so far really explains it concisely. If anyone knows any more about it please explain to me :D
By racechick
Heres something
http://motomatters.com/analysis/2011/11 ... d_to_.html

But its still very muddled to me. I dont understand the 'claiming engines' bit. Why? :confused:
Are they just the old privateer group with new rules?
By andrew
2012 will see the introduction of Claiming Rule Teams (CRT) to allow for participation by independent teams with lower budgets. CRTs will be given twelve engines per rider, six more than the other teams and more fuel – 24 litres (5.3 imperial gallons) instead of 21 litres (4.6 imperial gallons) – but will be subject to a factory team buying, or "claiming", their engines for €15,000, or €20,000 with the transmission. The sport's governing body has received applications from sixteen new teams looking to join the MotoGP class.
By racechick
2012 will see the introduction of Claiming Rule Teams (CRT) to allow for participation by independent teams with lower budgets. CRTs will be given twelve engines per rider, six more than the other teams and more fuel – 24 litres (5.3 imperial gallons) instead of 21 litres (4.6 imperial gallons) – but will be subject to a factory team buying, or "claiming", their engines for €15,000, or €20,000 with the transmission. The sport's governing body has received applications from sixteen new teams looking to join the MotoGP class.

Its the claiming of their engines for 15000 or 20000 by a works team when the CRT team have paid 100000 for them :confused: Why would a works team want one and why should the CRT team sell them at a loss?

See our F1 related articles too!