FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
I just saw this posted on my Facebook and thought I'd share it with you all.

Just the Facts:

* French automaker Peugeot announced Wednesday that it is pulling out of endurance racing in 2012 because of financial difficulties.
* Peugeot last won the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2009, but last year captured the six-race Intercontinental Le Mans Cup.
* Sister brand Citroen said it has no plans to withdraw from the World Rally Championship.

PARIS — French automaker Peugeot announced Wednesday that it is pulling out of world endurance racing, including the showcase 24 Hours of Le Mans, in 2012 because of financial difficulties.

Peugeot last won Le Mans in 2009, but last year captured the six-race Intercontinental Le Mans Cup in a year-long duel of diesel-powered racecars with Audi.

In a statement on its Web site, Peugeot said, "This decision has been taken in the context of a difficult economic environment in Europe. Peugeot has chosen to concentrate resources on its sales performance in 2012."

Separately, sister brand Citroen told Reuters that it has no plans to withdraw from the World Rally Championship after winning the manufacturers' crown in 2011.

Inside Line says: This year's Le Mans race won't be half as much fun without Peugeot.

http://www.insideline.com/peugeot/peugeot-pulls-out-of-le-mans.html

This is really disappointing, as after F1 the Le Mans series is my favorite racing series. And it seems as if this year the LMP1 class is just going to be all Audi. Hopefully with Toyota, and Porsche both slated to enter LMP1 in the coming years, the competition will heat back up. Though I was really looking forward to seeing a 4-way battle at the front of LMP1. :(

EDIT: Opps I forgot Toyota is entering this year, thought it was 2013. So hopefully they can put up a decent challenge against Audi.
Last edited by Rattlehead22 on 18 Jan 12, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, gutted to hear this. WEC is gonna suck this season, but i just hope that Toyota are quick off the bat so Le Mans is a contest... and it looks possible given the engine rule changes against the Diesels. Bring on Porsche in 2014 too!
That unfortunate. There is a good chance that LMP1 could suck this year, I would hate to see a no contest and see Audi just cruise around for a easy win around Le Mans, but as Scotty said, hopefully Toyota can surprise and challenge Audi. But there is sort of that feeling that we might have to wait for Porsche to come back to see Audi really get challenged again.

See our F1 related articles too!