FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
Unfortunately some of us saw it live :(

Yeah, I saw it live too....When I saw him lying motionless, I already had a bad feeling...

I had to watch it twice! I was on-line and was watching the race twice and couldn't believe that I was seeing a helmet loose on the track. I thought it was part of the faring or something like that!
The helmet issue really needs to be looked into there. Disgusting. To see a guy in the middle of the track while his helmet is rolling away from him is just unacceptable.
To be fair it was probably a freak incident the helemt coming off. Numerous riders have had huge impacts but their helments have stayed on. It seems that him being hit by another rider was what did the major damage but Edwards had no way to avoid him.

That is horrible. My favourite rider. Probably not going to bother with MotoGP for a fair while now.
Cant believe it, Rossi and Marco were my favourites by far, cannot believe it, highlights the risk these guys take every weekend.

RIP Marco, a talent wasted.

Mine too. Those two guys had/have something special. Amazing characters and outstanding talents. How sad that we wont get to see all Marco was capable of. Moto GP has lost something it may never get back.He died doing what he loved..but that doesnt make the loss any easier. :(:(
I won't cope today if I continue to dwell on this. So I am just going to try and get all my work done and then perhaps watch the news at lunch time. All I can say is RIP Marco. :crying:

"For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten. Also, their love and their hate and their jealousy have already perished, and they have no portion anymore to time indefinite in anything that has to be done under the sun." Ecclesiastes 9:5,6.

:crying::crying::crying:
Rossi has said on his Twitter page:

Sic for me was like a youngest brother. So strong on track and so sweet in the normal life. I will miss him a lot.

Hate to think what is going through Colin Edwards head now. He always come accross as the Michael Palin of the MotoGP padock. Hope he isn't being hard on himself because he really had no way to avoid Simoncelli.
You know that saying that was going around in Las Vegas last week how "a part of us has died inside"? Well a part of me had died as well - it's my motor racing fandom. I honestly doubt I can watch motor racing ever again, I would say why but maybe we should just focus on Simo.
I used to follow MotoGP much more than I do now. It was never nice seeing drivers getting flung from bikes and sliding all over the track and into the gravel. This type of tragedy was always going to happen.
I've been thinking about his helmet coming off a bit, from a photo in the local paper about the incident it appeared Rossis bike hit his head. The force of this was enough to tear it off. But why? I wonder if Marco wore a helmet one size up to fit in his long hair? I know from wearing my own helmet it's on pretty tight and my hairs short so I can imagine it being even tighter and less comfortable if I had hair like Marco.
Last edited by bud on 26 Oct 11, 08:59, edited 1 time in total.
His hair making the helmet not fit tight enough did cross my mind. Surely there are rules for how it has to fit? That must have been some force hitting that helmet though, they must have to give at some point.
Oh. I wonder if that contributed?

See our F1 related articles too!