FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
By bud
Thought id post this as it kinda deserves its own thread, some whom might not care for the V8SC thread would not have seen this. Pretty crazy for any touring car series!
Both drivers were not harmed seriously.

[youtube]dR5kMxC-DTc[/youtube]
:yikes:
By myownalias
Damn! dodgy fuel tank? that car seemed to go up in flame rather quickly!
By bud
I think its just a case of a 1 ton car going at 165km/h hitting a stationary car in the rear where the fuel tank is located. I think in the V8SC homolgation the fuel tank is not a bladder like in F1 but a metal tank. Might cause a rethink for the future.
Karl Reindler the one you see shaking his hands, who was in the car that was hit had burns to his face and hands. his face doesn't look too bad but his hands have been bandaged up, he said his gloves melted to his hands.
By acosmichippo
...he said his gloves melted to his hands.

don't they design motorsport gear to NOT do that?
By Frontrunner
I think its just a case of a 1 ton car going at 165km/h hitting a stationary car in the rear where the fuel tank is located. I think in the V8SC homolgation the fuel tank is not a bladder like in F1 but a metal tank. Might cause a rethink for the future.
Karl Reindler the one you see shaking his hands, who was in the car that was hit had burns to his face and hands. his face doesn't look too bad but his hands have been bandaged up, he said his gloves melted to his hands.

I think Mark Skaife was saying something about the new genaration V8SC will not have the fuel cell located at the rear end but maybe more further up the car and away from the rear. I think Karl Reindler wished he had the new genaration V8SC then and there.
By bud

Yeah but only problem with the gloes is they dont wear extra fire retarded underwear beneath them. They are fire retardant to an extent but i guess when fuel is on fire they reached their point of failure. Saying that his burns are not too serious, So they did do a good job. He said 2 weeks his skin will be back and a month he will be able to race again.

I think Mark Skaife was saying something about the new genaration V8SC will not have the fuel cell located at the rear end but maybe more further up the car and away from the rear. I think Karl Reindler wished he had the new genaration V8SC then and there.

i was thinking the new homologation car was going to have a better position.
By acosmichippo

Yeah but only problem with the gloes is they dont wear extra fire retarded underwear beneath them. They are fire retardant to an extent but i guess when fuel is on fire they reached their point of failure. Saying that his burns are not too serious, So they did do a good job. He said 2 weeks his skin will be back and a month he will be able to race again.

right, but i thought racegear was designed primarily to prevent burns from burning fuel. why else would you need fire-retardancy?

are you saying they sacrifice protection for better flexibility in the gloves?
By bud
he would have been wearing gloves similar to these Astar ones http://www.alpinestars.com/Tech_1S_Glov ... 53011.html
Complies with the SFI 3.3/5 homologation standard.

Two-layer Nomex main construction is lightweight and comfortable.

Palm constructed of Pittards® Diamond Digital fire retardant leather for maximum protection and grip in a durable finish.

Ergonomically shaped Pittards® leather palm patch for added grip.

Minimal palm padding for improved feel and grip.

Pre-curved finger construction improves comfort and reduces fatigue by preventing excessive material resistance while driving.
By scotty
Scary... that should NOT happen in the modern age. At least he walked away and didn't have too serious an injury :)
By ssmmdd
Holy Christ! :yikes:

Agreed with scotty - no matter how fast it was hit, it shouldn't have gone up like that.

Good thing everyone walked away from it.
By The Oz
crazy stuff. Owen had no time to react. The TEGA footage in his car showed Reynolds diving out the way and then for a split second you can see Karl and then BAM!

Fire Marshalls were too slow IMO...you had the crew from the Kelly gang and blokes from HRT out there way before the marshalls did.

Shouldn't have gone up that quickly, however COTF, which was originally due for this year and then got put off to 2012 and then got put back to 2013 last year, should prevent that from happening ever again.

Reindler in doubt for Winton too. They're looking at getting Jase back in the car if Karl isn't ready, if they can't Andrew Jones is always on standby as his family runs the team.
By oaba09
I was watching it live on TV and I was very sleepy during that time....This crash pretty much woke me up....Thank God, both drivers are ok...

See our F1 related articles too!