FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
Electric-powered Open Wheel racing? I'm all for it.
I would love to see some electric cars whizzing around the GP tracks. Maybe have it as a support race to F1. I could see the cars getting good enough to challenge the F1 cars and then even having some exhibitions for the fans where an F1 car takes on one of the whiz buggies.

But you need to have F1 stay the way it is as the most impressive spectacle in motorsport. A big part of that is the sounds and the feeling as the cars go by. Haven't seen an F1 race, but did go to a CART race when I was younger and the feeling as the wars went by was amazing. The whine of the engines and the smell of the gas. It is a pleasant memory.
Lets head them off at the pass. Lets get a team together, we can look for sponsors like Skylectrics (spl), Hornby, Triang, Duracel, Yasas, stenna stair lifts, mobility vehicles, Craft, or any Milk retailer.
I don't see why they don't so what they already do in the Trophee Andros - in that series they have the main quali / races, and then have a separate shorter set of races in the electric cars. In the separate electric races, they have a combination of the drivers from the main series who are interested in competing, and also younger drivers that are hoping to impress and 'graduate' to the main series...

Think about the issue this year in F1 with a large number of 'test' or 'reserve' drivers at teams that don't have a race seat, under a setup with the main F1 race and shorter supporting race, the supporting electric races could contain a mix of back-marker drivers, convinced that they have what it takes to prove their ability or get back to a top team like Trulli, Kovi etc., test drivers such as Hulkenberg, Senna, Paffett etc., drivers that might have lost their seat recently but want to prove they should get another chance like Chandhok, Di Grassi etc. and potential stars of the future such as Mortara, Wittmann, Sims etc.

It would be something a bit different to the usual feeder series and lower level formulae...

I'd do it with no pit stops and keep the electric car races to literally 10-15 laps long and have it with spec cars. Lets see who out of that bunch of fringe drivers really is better than the rest, and if anyone really is a standout... :)
Steam powered racing would be just as relevant. The hydrogen fuel cell obsoleted storage battery electric cars near onto 40 years ago.

See our F1 related articles too!