FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
VODAFONE F1 RACER SET TO TAKE ON MT PANORAMA

In the lead up to the 2011 FORMULA 1™ QANTAS AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX, Vodafone McLaren Mercedes driver, Jenson Button is set to fulfil his dream of taking on Australia’s most renowned race track, Mount Panorama, Bathurst, on Tuesday, March 22, 2011.
This will be the first time a Formula 1™ car has ever been driven around the iconic Bathurst track and who better to guide Jenson Button, 2009 FIA Formula One™ Drivers’ World Champion, around the circuit than 5 x Bathurst winner, TeamVodafone’s Craig Lowndes.
Both will pilot their respective cars around the track before swapping seats, with Button behind the wheel of the TeamVodafone V8 Supercar and Lowndes gearing up for his first ever drive in a Formula 1™ car – the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes MP4-23.
The event is due to kick off at 11am and there will be opportunities for spectators to meet with Vodafone McLaren Mercedes driver, Jenson Button and TeamVodafone’s Craig Lowndes. Entry for the public is by gold coin donation with all funds going to help victims of the Queensland & Victorian floods.

I'll add video once it becomes available.
nice pics

like the ones where the mclaren is coming down from Skyline through the Esses. That would be awesome being in a F1 car going through that sector of track let alone the whole curcuit.

Hopefully Jenson is allowed to have a good go at it in the V8SC. Like to know what sort of lap time he can do. Jenson has said he would want to do a Bathrust 1000 in the future, so he will want to show Team Vodafone what he can do.
Jenson posts a lap time of 1min 48 in the MP4-23 while Craig did a 1min 49 but both guys were not pushing for lap times, they just cracked over 300km down conrod straight knowing that the MP4-23 could easily exceed 360km down conrod straight.

Craig holds the lap record in a V8SC at 2min 06.8 but today was a 2min 11 while Jenson did a 2min 17 which is a good effort for someone who hasn't done a lap around Bathurst before.

This is what Jenson and Craig said after the event

CRAIG LOWNDES

Craig on discovering Vodafone was giving him the opportunity to drive the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes MP4-23 at Bathurst.

Imagining an F1 car around Bathurst initially seemed a bit crazy. But it’s here and we’re going to enjoy it for what it is. It will be a hell of an experience. I never thought in my lifetime we’d see this.

Craig on how fast he can go in an F1

Potentially it could be a lot quicker but realistically I’ve been told to bring it back in one piece. Today is more about sharing the experience with Jenson – show him the track and the car and vice versa.

Craig compares driving the F1 to a V8 at Bathurst

When I first went out it was the acceleration but when you go through turn two you really realise how much acceleration you have. In comparison the V8 seems to labour up the mountain.

JENSON BUTTON

Jenson on his first impressions on the track

These guys are crazy – they really are. This place is fantastic. Television just doesn’t do it justice. When I drove around earlier in a Mercedes road car it even felt fast. I think I’m going to have more fun in the V8 car than the F1 because you can actually use all the kerbs and get a good flow. I’m really excited about the challenge. It’s the second time I’ll be driving a V8 and I’ve got so many good memories of watching the V8s on TV and hopefully one day I get to drive one for real and it not just be four laps.

Jenson on fulfilling his childhood dream of driving at Bathurst

As a driver you have your favourite tracks. Like Macau and Silverstone for instance. But this is the one I haven’t had the possibility of driving and I’m going to fulfil a childhood dream in not only a V8 but also in a Formula 1 car – which I think is pretty special myself.

Jenson on the advice given to him by TeamVodafone V8 Supercar legend, Craig Lowndes

He jokingly said it’s flat everywhere and that if you don’t come back with wing mirrors that’s pretty normal!

Jenson on how it felt to be the first driver to pilot an F1 at Mt. Panorama

This is an iconic race track and it’s great to celebrate the unofficial fastest lap in a F1 car. That was phenomenal. It was such a rush. Once you get over the straights being quite hard to control the car over it is such a pleasure. It’s just a pity I don’t have more laps to test it out.

Jenson on how different was it driving the V8 compared to watching them on TV?

I didn’t expect so much grip. It took me a while to get used to it. I haven’t hammered a car over kerbs like that for 12 years so it was a new experience for me and something I’ve missed.

Jenson on what it was like up on top of the mountain in a V8?

I was holding on tight all the way. It takes everything out of you. It was the experience I’ve wanted to have for many years and I’ve finally done it. In a way it’s probably not a good thing because it’s made me more hungry to come back.

See our F1 related articles too!