FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By EwanM
BMWs 2009 target was to challenge for the title.

And that was a failure.
I remember Renault had a similar target system when they first came in as an manufacturer once more.
They fulfilled it with Alonso's title.
By EwanM

And that was a failure.

epic:(

I suppose Kubica was justified to "moan" last year?
By headless
BMW fulfilled their 07 and 08 targets.
just havent adapted to new regulations.
By Denthúl
If Honda aren't there it does seem a bot pointless for Toyota to be there, at least as anything other than engine supplier.

Looking for a reason to quit? Wouldn't surprise me & I suspect BMW may well follow. 's not like they are troubling the front of the grid or anything now is it?

I doubt BMW will quit over performance issues, considering that this year should really be counted as anomalous - they were good in 2006, better in 2007 and even more so last year. With the regulation changes, somebody was bound to lose out. Toyota, on the other hand, have not been spectacular. Only in the past couple of years have they really started to perform. Still, I think that Monaco could still be just part of a dip in performance. They've been quick around some other circuits, but one of the things they have been known for is having issues with tyres, so it could be that. I'd give them the season before making up my mind.

And that was a failure.

epic:(

I suppose Kubica was justified to "moan" last year?

Not really. I mean, yes he's having a bad time this year, but he has to look at Brawn and see that the risk could have paid-off hugely. And it's not like they stopped developing the car completely, it's just that things they put on the car did not work very well.

Is that not everybody's 'target'?

Seriously doubt that for Toro Rosso or Force India :P
I thinks the regs have to stabilize before anybody commits to the 2010 car. If Toyota knows for certain that they can't compete going forward then I can see there reasoning. There are not even a small amount of Brawns or Neweys that can help them change direction. Honda was a big Fail and didn't realize their potential. But we'll never know what that powerplant could accomplish in the Brawn chasis. It might have still been midpack..
Toyota represent everything that's bad about modern Formula One: corporate giant, primary concern is about marketing, men in grey suits trying to interfere with the running of the team, and thinking flinging large amounts of money at something will solve the problem. Then, despite their huge budget and preparation time for this season, they're still not close to winning a title, even when Ferrari and McLaren are out of the picture. It's embarrassing of them and Formula One. If they leave, I'll throw a house party.

BMW, however, are another matter. Okay, they've dropped the ball inexplicably this season, but, apart from 2009, they've been a success story. Their results have improved since they took over Sauber, and they might have had a little more success in 2008 if they continued developing their car. I hope they give things another season.
By Jensonb
Not really. I mean, yes he's having a bad time this year, but he has to look at Brawn and see that the risk could have paid-off hugely. And it's not like they stopped developing the car completely, it's just that things they put on the car did not work very well.

You don't give up a chance at the world title when you have it in the hope you might just be better next year. It's not worth the risk. Honda/Brawn were able to because their car was a trainwreck.
By Gilles 27
Toyota represent everything that's bad about modern Formula One: corporate giant, primary concern is about marketing, men in grey suits trying to interfere with the running of the team, and thinking flinging large amounts of money at something will solve the problem. Then, despite their huge budget and preparation time for this season, they're still not close to winning a title, even when Ferrari and McLaren are out of the picture. It's embarrassing of them and Formula One. If they leave, I'll throw a house party.

:thumbup:
Agree with every word, Toyota are a joke and I've been waiting for them to go. I'd have put money on them leaving at the end of this season regardless of the budget cap stuff and it makes perfect sense for them to take the spineless route of dropping out under the pretense of protesting some rule changes.
Plus we loose Fuji !!! :sickman:
By headless

Is that not everybody's 'target'?

Well it was BMW's long term.
By scotty
Q. There has been a continual rumour this weekend that Toyota is looking at exiting F1. Do you have a comment about that?

John Howett: I believe it is spin. It has been put there deliberately to create some more tension in the situation. I think that is going now wider than Toyota, onto one or more manufacturer teams. I don't know the source, but I can only say in our case that there is a clear wish to enter next year's championship.

That is easier to say than do, though, because to some extent there is now a very short deadline 2013 earlier than I believe has been in recent years. And at the moment until things are clarified it is very difficult to place an entry.

Q. If a Concorde Agreement was put forward that Toyota was happy with, would you sign it until 2012?

JH: For 18 months we have been confirming that without any hesitation. I don't believe, from the drafts I've seen, that have been agreed with all the FOTA teams' lawyers, that it is is anything other than a totally professional and reasonable document. I think in the case of the Commercial Rights Holder, we are very, very close to actually managing to conclude the issues. Honestly, we are very open to discuss that document with the federation.

Q. So you would say Toyota is closer to staying than going?

JH: I don't think this is something people like to think about. It is the same with all major corporations – they have to look and say is this a sport in which we would like to be associated? You have to say that there have been a lot of tensions recently, but I think with a proper governance structure then it is no issue.

Mixed messages, he's hardly denying the allegations though...
It's funny how he starts off talking about spin and then proceeds to use it. :rolleyes:

See our F1 related articles too!