Ferrari will call its 2013 F1 car F138.
Until now, insiders have referred to the famous Italian team’s next contender as ’664′ — its working project title. But following last year’s car F2012, there has been speculation Ferrari would not simply call its successor F2013 — perhaps because Fernando Alonso failed to win the title with the conventionally numbered ’12′, and because of the prominence of the unlucky number 13. Read more... (276 words, estimated 1:06 mins reading time)
Ferrari will hide the ‘step’ in the nose of its 2013 car, it has emerged.
The FIA has allowed teams to install a “structurally irrelevant” laminate over the unseemly step for this year’s cars, following the public’s reaction to the dubious aesthetics of the 2012 field. The ‘modesty panel’, however, is not mandatory, even though Valtteri Bottas revealed earlier this month that Williams will take advantage of the new rule for its 2013 car. Read more... (179 words, estimated 43 secs reading time)
Fernando Alonso will not drive Ferrari’s 2013 car until the second test of the pre-season, the Italian team has announced.
Maranello based Ferrari said it will be Felipe Massa at the wheel for the first three days of the four-day test at Jerez early next month. And it will be new test driver and Spaniard Pedro de la Rosa making his Ferrari debut on the final day of running. Read more... (262 words, estimated 1:03 mins reading time)
The opening races of this season’s world championship will be crucial, according to Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicali.
In 2012, runner-up Ferrari had a dire start to its campaign, while eventual champion Red Bull also took some time to establish its full potential. But with the sweeping rule changes of 2014 looming large, Domenicali said the dynamics of this season’s battle will be different. Read more... (243 words, estimated 58 secs reading time)
According to the Italian press, Force India are currently in talks with Ferrari with a view to switching back to Ferrari power.
Force India currently run with the Mercedes V8 engine – however the team started in Formula One powered by Ferrari.
Luca di Montezemolo on Thursday admitted reigning world champion Sebastian Vettel is next in line for Ferrari’s ‘number 1′ race seat.
“If, tomorrow, Fernando would withdraw for any reason – let’s say he moves to Hawaii with his girlfriend – then I would want Vettel,” laughed the fabled Maranello based team’s president, according to Auto Motor und Sport. Read more... (386 words, estimated 1:33 mins reading time)
If the rumours are true, Ferrari are currently investigating whether or not they can lodge a protest that could overturn the 2012 world championship results. Read more... (297 words, estimated 1:11 mins reading time)
Ferrari has clamped down on Fernando Alonso’s activities on social media websites Facebook and Twitter, according to the German magazine Focus.
It is reported the clampdown is the result of several controversial updates by the championship-charging Spaniard, including a photo he posted in Austin of himself and Felipe Massa holding a huge gun, with a caption declaring title war on Sebastian Vettel. Read more... (98 words, estimated 24 secs reading time)
As was rumoured before F1 arrived in Austin last week, the latest developments for Fernando Alonso’s title-contending Ferrari did not work. Read more... (163 words, estimated 39 secs reading time)
Bob Fernley, the day-to-day team boss at Force India, has backed Ferrari’s decision to deliberately penalise Felipe Massa in Austin.
The Italian team was roundly criticised for tampering with Brazilian Massa’s long-life gearbox for no other reason than to incur a five-place penalty that switched title-fighting teammate Fernando Alonso to the ‘clean’ side of the grid. Read more... (194 words, estimated 47 secs reading time)