FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
Hello All,

I am trying to find inventions that originated in Formula 1 which later migrated to production vehicles. I already know about sliding camshafts and variable timing moving into production systems like VTEC. A friend mentioned that the conversion from flat tappets to roller tappers originated in Formula and is now used commonly. It seems to me that in the future maybe the J-Damper/Inerter could make its way into production vehicles.

I am looking for more examples like the ones above where the inventions are pretty direct translations to the production use. I searched the internet all morning but I only found two sites that described ways that F1 technology enabled other inventions:
http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/visitmu ... rward.aspx
http://www.newscientist.com/gallery/dn1 ... -hospitals

Examples from other motorsports would be useful as well if you have knowledge of them.

Thank you for your knowledge!

Best regards,
-Bryan
Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo
I think they Turbo was a motosport design first. also Lotus 25 used the first car that had a monocoque chassis ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_25 ) I think the idea had been used before on aircraft but never cars.

Aerodynamics is another thing that motorsport took on before road cars.

Not sure about things like Disc Brakes etc. What about water cooling systems?
Welcome dude, I have a crapload of friends that go to Cal Poly in SLO. They're all ag majors, go figure :hehe: Anyways hope you enjoy it here.

Not sure about things like Disc Brakes etc.

I could be wrong, but I think disc brakes were first used on WWII airplanes.
Almost every innovation on a road car was previously proven on a track, although they may have been first conceived for road cars, then tested on track before use on the road, giving the illusion that they were conceived for racing. Also much of said racing used to prove parts and ideas are not F1.
Some of the innovations I refer to are ABS, TC, inertial damping, automated shifting and clutch operation, active suspension, high pressure cooling, nitrogen in tires, etc etc.
What are some examples of F1 technology that has made it down to being on normal cars?

There's the KERS/hybrid car similarity but there were hybrid cars before KERS was introduced so I don't think that's a great example.
Flappy paddle gearboxes is the most obvious one i guess.
Magnesium wheels, carbon fiber body panels... and going out on a limb here since it's only on high end cars, but engine and service data telemetry.
Flappy paddle gearboxes is the most obvious one i guess.

Traction Control, Dynamic Stablity Control, Anti Lock Brakes?

Launch Control.

You don't really see any of those in common cars though, except for ABS which was actually present on other vehicles before F1 picked it up - i guess you could say they helped perfect it. Flappy paddle gearboxes are available on some very low end cars now! My mate had a Toyota Auris with it, although it was ridiculously slow to change gear. :shock:

See our F1 related articles too!