FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Just as it says...
By suitcase
Twilight

This is next on the agenda, Hear the book's are awesome :clap:

They're not, trust me. Harry Potter on the other hand is brilliant. I started reading them back in 1998 when I was ten but the more I read them (and I've read them a lot) and the older I get, the better they are.

Yes, please don't waste your time with it. It's probably one of the worst books I have ever read. No writing style/TALENT and characters were pathetic. Dracula completely beats it.
As for Harry Potter, the series is excellent and actually not very childish.
By suitcase
I'm at home taking a break from sixth form currently in my prep, gonna crack home with some chemistry revision later though, and enjoy the novelty of a footie match on the bbc. And I'm planning to slot in some reading on wikipedia about the Mongols military tactics and organisation.

What do you mean by "sixth form"? I have heard of it but it confuses me, no disrespect to your education system. I've been told it's the last two years in secondary school but there's also another level?

We have 7 years of Primary School. Then 5 years of Secondary School. Then after that you can leave school or spend another 2 years in education called 6th form. The first year being Lower 6th, and 2nd is Upper 6th.

Thats for Northern Ireland though. England I know only do six years of Primary School.

So do you make your decision right when you turn 16, or when the school year in which you turn 16 ends?
By suitcase
Dracula completely beats it.

Ohh - I loved Dracula. Awesome book! We really need a books thread on here...

I read Dracula when I was in 5th or 6th grade (I guess that's primary school because I was 11 or 12), so it freaked me out a little bit but nonetheless it was a well-written, chilling novel. I thought it was much darker than Frankenstein.
Book thread= :thumbup:. Reading is my silent obsession.
By vaptin
woa, I only read it last year.

As far as I was aware once you turn 16 you can run off and your parents won't get angry letters about it (well not legal ones anyway, the school will still do the attendance and enrolment stuff). At least thats what I told myself, I was pretty fed up with GCSEs by then.
By suitcase

As far as I was aware once you turn 16 you can run off and your parents won't get angry letters about it (well not legal ones anyway, the school will still do the attendance and enrolment stuff). At least thats what I told myself, I was pretty fed up with GCSEs by then.

I read that book when I was younger because I was going through a sort of dark stage in my life where I guess I was goth to a point, so I wanted to read Dracula. Plus I'm a fan of classics.
What are GCSEs? I saw some posts that might relate to this but I didn't understand them so I was like "...what..."
By darwin dali
I can only think its because of the wide range of diffrent grades avalible AVCE, GCE A-LEVEL, BTEC etc.. etc.. makes it a nightmare for them to work out so they streamed lined buy using points.

What on Earth is an AVCE?! :confused:

This is the problem when you come to employ people....I have no idea what half the qualifications people spout are and what's equivalent to what e.g. Is an O-level better than a GCSE...?! (rhetorical question ;) ) I get really confused :(

And then there are people like me who are familiar with at least two different educational systems in different countries, none of which is Britain :confused:
By RA Dunk
And then there are people like me who are familiar with at least two different educational systems in different countries, none of which is Britain :confused:

lucky you :hehe:
By Jabberwocky
TBH most of the qualifications I have from school are now worthless. most Companies ask for a degree or proven experience
By vaptin

I read that book when I was younger because I was going through a sort of dark stage in my life where I guess I was goth to a point, so I wanted to read Dracula. Plus I'm a fan of classics.
What are GCSEs? I saw some posts that might relate to this but I didn't understand them so I was like "...what..."

GCSEs are the exams you take at the end of year 11 (when your 16) summer exams.
By Gaz
TBH most of the qualifications I have from school are now worthless. most Companies ask for a degree or proven experience

hmm depends on the industry i guess.

Since leaving college i've done a few coperate courses, microsoft, cisco etc, they are all worth more than my A-Level which took 2 years to get when these take somtimes just a month..

They are proberly more valuble than a degree also, since they teach more relvent processes

True, but what if it's your first job you are applying for (and you haven't gone to University). I think once you've had one or two jobs, even a degree becomes of much less worth - as you say, people want to see experience not qualifications. Although continuing education on-the-job is never a bad thing.
By Gaz

True, but what if it's your first job you are applying for (and you haven't gone to University). I think once you've had one or two jobs, even a degree becomes of much less worth - as you say, people want to see experience not qualifications. Although continuing education on-the-job is never a bad thing.

well as an employeer then if there was a College leaver who'd spent 3 years in an appertice role for say web development and also another candidate a Uni Leaver who'd just done a degree in webdev or design or whatever who would you go for?
well as an employeer then if there was a College leaver who'd spent 3 years in an appertice role for say web development and also another candidate a Uni Leaver who'd just done a degree in webdev or design or whatever who would you go for?

I'd want to see a portfolio. No portfolio = no job offer. The reason is I've trained as a web dev (to Masters level) but there's absolutely no way I could actually do a web devs job - my coding just isn't good enough. But then I think web dev & design is an odd one because you should be able to create a portfolio without actually having any clients. It's harder for other jobs - say accountancy or something - because most of the time it's not like you can do your own accounts and show them to a prospective employer.

See our F1 related articles too!