FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
By darwin dali
By rotor do you mean brake disc?

Yeah... I've noticed a few differences in terminology in this place. I just read someone's post that said "kerb" instead of what I'm used to seeing... "curb." I just have to get used to it!

Usually I hear people say disc when referring to the type of brake system, (disc, drum, etc...). When talking about actual components, they always say pad/caliper/rotor. I'm guessing with all the worldwide members here, I'm just an odd man out!

The difference between a curb and a kerb is that one is along the edge of a sidewalk while the other is along the edge of a pavement.

Kerb is simply a different spelling of curb - they are interchangeable according to most dictionaries and wiki.
By autogyro
As to F1 brakes.
Is it not time to improve on this old fashioned idea of setting light to bits of carbon to stop?
I expect some cave men did things in a similar manner when up against it.
Kers is the answer of course. Developed far enough and there would no longer be a need for current braking systems because the harvesting of energy could be used instead.
Oh I forgot the big car maker teams who support Vatanen do not want such advances, upsets their meager profits.
By scotty
Steve Matchett mentioned that unlike the brake disks, the calipers are highly regulated and that those calipers now have begun to be outperformed by the carbon disks, which then leads to all sorts of brake problems.

I thought the problem was the other way around, in a manner of speaking... ie that the discs would be come so worn that the pad would just go straight through the disc (hence why the affected wheel typically locks up when there is a brake failure) - therefore the simple solution would be to use a more durable, albeit less effective material, or to increase the disc thickness, which would make it harder to heat the brakes up properly and make them less effective again. Either way, less powerful brakes would be a good thing i think, certainly with regard to the overtaking situation...
By autogyro
Steve Matchett mentioned that unlike the brake disks, the calipers are highly regulated and that those calipers now have begun to be outperformed by the carbon disks, which then leads to all sorts of brake problems.

I thought the problem was the other way around, in a manner of speaking... ie that the discs would be come so worn that the pad would just go straight through the disc (hence why the affected wheel typically locks up when there is a brake failure) - therefore the simple solution would be to use a more durable, albeit less effective material, or to increase the disc thickness, which would make it harder to heat the brakes up properly and make them less effective again. Either way, less powerful brakes would be a good thing i think, certainly with regard to the overtaking situation...

Energy harvesting from all four wheels would start development of a completely knew method of braking.
Disks could become progressively smaller until not needed at all.
By bud
As to F1 brakes.
Is it not time to improve on this old fashioned idea of setting light to bits of carbon to stop?
Kers is the answer of course. Developed far enough and there would no longer be a need for current braking systems because the harvesting of energy could be used instead.
Oh I forgot the big car maker teams who support Vatanen do not want such advances, upsets their meager profits.

yeah mate that kinda goes against the cost saving agenda which is on the teams minds at the moment. I think a simpler thing will be best for the sport overall!
By autogyro
As to F1 brakes.

yeah mate that kinda goes against the cost saving agenda which is on the teams minds at the moment. I think a simpler thing will be best for the sport overall!

They could go back to throwing out a rock on a piece of rope but neither will ensure F1 continues to be the peak of technology in the world. The short sighted at Fota have seen to that.
By Jabberwocky
we are all forgetting 2 things

1. Movable wings could be used to increase drag massively to slow cars down as top end road cars now do.

2. parachutes
By bud
As to F1 brakes.

They could go back to throwing out a rock on a piece of rope but neither will ensure F1 continues to be the peak of technology in the world. The short sighted at Fota have seen to that.

its not by choice, im sure they would love to push the boundaries further but it comes at a large cost. Money makes F1 go round and they need to spend less than what they are.
By darwin dali
As to F1 brakes.

its not by choice, im sure they would love to push the boundaries further but it comes at a large cost. Money makes F1 go round and they need to spend less than what they are.

I think most will agree with that.
By autogyro
As to F1 brakes.

Sorry bud but Kers was fully open to outside development by the vehicle industry where it SHOULD be the pinnacle of development to meet carbon figures and general environmental issues. Saving energy from obsolete IC engined vehicle is essential to this. Fota is the mouth piece of the backward technology embraced by the fossil fuel industries and that is why it was created to stifle proper development in FI. F1 has to reflect the real motoring world or it has a limited future.
By bud
As to F1 brakes.

Sorry bud but Kers was fully open to outside development by the vehicle industry where it SHOULD be the pinnacle of development to meet carbon figures and general environmental issues. Saving energy from obsolete IC engined vehicle is essential to this. Fota is the mouth piece of the backward technology embraced by the fossil fuel industries and that is why it was created to stifle proper development in FI. F1 has to reflect the real motoring world or it has a limited future.

:bs:
By nish2280
How bout reduced horse power and LOADS of downforce!

but really

there is no option other than to increase the airflow to the brakes.
By RA Dunk
I think it will probably get worse if nothings done due to the no refueling rule and cars running alot heavier than they have been used too, the extra weight of fuel on board is bound to make the breaks work harder
By darwin dali
I think it will probably get worse if nothings done due to the no refueling rule and cars running alot heavier than they have been used too, the extra weight of fuel on board is bound to make the breaks work harder

:yes:

See our F1 related articles too!